Battery connection

DONALD CLINTON
  • 1993 FORD RANGER
Replacing my battery. Connected positive terminal but the negative would not reach the (negative) terminal. I touched the connector to the terminal and it arced. Do I need to be concerned about getting shocked when I connect the (negative) terminal when the (positive) is connected?
Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 11:08 AM

AL514
No you will not get shocked, but why does your negative not reach the battery? You should not much if any of an arc if any on the negative side. You did not hook it up reversed I hope?
Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 11:16 AM
DONALD CLINTON
The old battery had the terminals set to one side but the new battery has the terminals in the middle. The negative wire is barely long enough to touch the terminal. When I say it arced, it looked more like a heavy static shock. I connected the positive wire to the positive terminal, but when I touched the negative wire to the negative terminal it had a small arc.
Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 11:33 AM
AL514
There might be a small arc, but that is okay as long as there is anything large, and I know if you have not changed a hundred batteries you will not know the arch size. But I am sure you are good to go. Now if the car does not start, that is another story. But see if it cranks over and starts first.
Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 12:20 PM
DONALD CLINTON
Yep it started. Now the problem is I cannot get my brakes to pressurize. I put about half a bottle of fluid in but the brakes barely grab even with the pedal to the floor. I cannot see a leak, but still I am guessing a bad brake line? Or two or three?
Side note: this truck has sat for about a year but other than the brake issue it seems okay so far.
Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 12:44 PM
AL514
There is air in the lines. Is it leaking brake fluid anywhere you can see? You should be able to see a fluid leak pretty easy if you are putting the pedal to the floor.
Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 12:49 PM
JOHNNY G.JR
Have an assistant press on brake pedal while you look for leaks from master cylinder to calipers and/or wheel cylinders, including brake lines down frame, across rear end of vehicle, Keep master cylinder topped off with fluid, Also check where master cylinder attaches to brake vacuum booster
Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 2:39 PM