Balance shaft with upper oil pan assembly

MVERA1973
  • 2002 TOYOTA CAMRY
Driving the camry, started to hear a clicking noise, sounded internal engine but was not sure. This went on for about two weeks, as this is my daughters car. Then driving the car on interstate, noise got louder, cruise control caused trans to up shift, higher rpms, then boom. Got it towed, only tried to start once before tow truck arrived, noticed no oil pressure. Finally got around to removing the oil pan, found balance shaft gears broken and bearing spun, damaging the upper oil pan. So, now I have a used upper oil pan assembly with the balance shafts, from a salvage yard. I have heard of some type of timing that needs to be done and other things, I was looking for procedures, and difficulty. I am a mechanic, but with diesel engines, never seen balance shafts before. Should this be a job I should tackle, or get professional help. I can follow instructions, just not real confident on this job. I removed the bad balance shafts but not the upper oil pan, and I know the upper oil pan will have to be replaced because the balance shaft bearings caused damage to casting. Thanks for your help. Martin
Sunday, December 28th, 2014 AT 11:20 PM

CADIEMAN
THIS SHOULD BE DONE BY A MACHINE SHOP THAT REBUILDS SHORT BLOCKS. U SHOULD HAVE GOT A SHORT BLOCK JUNK YARD THEN U COULD HAVE JUST SWAPPED THE HEAD AND OTHER PARTS AS NEEDED.
+1
Monday, December 29th, 2014 AT 6:15 AM
MVERA1973
But there is nothing wrong with the top end, crank looks good, just the balance shafts failed, why can't I just replaced the upper oil pan and the balance shafts?
Monday, December 29th, 2014 AT 11:54 AM
CADIEMAN
If u feel no metal has got in the motor u can replace the shafts. U can u tube it for info. And timing info.
Monday, December 29th, 2014 AT 12:32 PM
MVERA1973
I have looked on youtube and searched the web for info on this engine, there are some that look like its the right one, but not really sure, any links, this is a 2az fe motor, 2.4 liter. Also, is this a repair that I probably can handle, like I said, I am a mechanic but on diesel, never seen so many timing marks much less a balance shaft assembly, ever done this kinda job before? I just don't want to do something wrong to cause the engine damage and ruin the car. Sorry for being a little OCD, just want to be careful before I begin to pull things off.
-2
Monday, December 29th, 2014 AT 12:41 PM
CADIEMAN
IF U DO ONE THING WRONG YOU'RE DONE. I WOULD WANT TO BE SAFE AND HAVE SOMEONE QUALIFIED DO THE REPAIR. THAT'S MY OPINION.
-2
Monday, December 29th, 2014 AT 4:08 PM
MVERA1973
Thanks for the advice.
Monday, December 29th, 2014 AT 5:07 PM
There is no procedure listed for replacement of the upper oil pan.
I had to replace upper oil pan on this 2.4L.
The customer had bottomed out on the street and the aluminum oil pan broke at the
area where the engine mount attaches to the oil pan.
Front of engine by the right axle.
To replace just the upper oil pan.
1) Remove Valve cover.
2) Remove Lower oil pan.
3) Remove Timing Cover.
4) Remove Oil Pump gear and chain, then oil pump.
5) Remove upper oil pan, 11 Bolts, one bolt is hidden in oil filter housing. See attached picture.
If you plan on replacing the rear main seal, you will need to remove engine from car.
Notes: There is an updated Balance shaft assembly.
The Balance shafts are driven by a gear on the crankshaft.
The drive gear on the crankshaft has 50 teeth and the balance shafts have 25 teeth.
The Toyota dealership near us, estimates this repair at 22 hours including rear main seal.
To set up the balance shafts engine at T.D.C. #1 Compression. See Fig #169. And attached pictures
+7
Tuesday, December 30th, 2014 AT 12:43 PM
Send me your mail so I can get these pics to you it keeps locking the site up every time I try hmac3002@yahoo. Com
+1
Tuesday, December 30th, 2014 AT 12:47 PM
MVERA1973
Perfect, thank you very much exactly what is was looking for. And thank you for the quick response.
+1
Wednesday, December 31st, 2014 AT 9:24 AM
Now if it fixes ok without any junk in engine
Wednesday, December 31st, 2014 AT 10:26 AM