100 ENGINE STALLING OCCASIONALLY

1992 Audi

kktheng

May, 12, 2008 AT 8:54 PM

1992 Other Audi Models 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive 200000 miles

My Audi 100 2.3E (manufactured 1992) runs very well for a 15 year old car except for one problem. Intermittently, the engine will stall while idling e.G at the lights or in standstill traffic. The mechanic blamed it on the ISV but the problem still persist after replacing it, at a considerable high cost! Now he has diagnosed the problematic component as the fuel distributor. Besides the high cost and scarcity (used unit) I am also quite reluctant to replace it because I am quite wary of the mechanic’s diagnosis. I have had various suggestions from other mechanics and also feedback from web forums of Audi owners, but the answers are varied(coolant temperature sensor, fuel pump relay, throttle body, etc). I have no problems with cold start except for occasional hesitancy of the engine to fire up fully on cranking up. Another think I noticed but I am not too sure is that with the air conditioner turned off, it does not happen. AT times the idling speed will go up to 1500 rpm and stays there until I turn off the engine. It is back to normal when I start the engine after it cools for a while. Other than this problem, it is a really nice car and I hope you can give me some advice how to rectify the problem. Thank you.

AUDI OWNER

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

money4nothing

September, 29, 2008 AT 4:46 PM

Hi, just wondering if you got that sorted out, sounds like same problem i'm having at moment, except it happens when driving at speed. Scary experience!