COOLANT EXPANDS AND RUNS OUT OF EXPANSION TANKL

Audi A6

tgraceman

July, 3, 2007 AT 10:23 AM

Have 170k A6 Quattro '95.

Here's the scenario:
Antifreeze level is at maximum mark on expansion tank when starting cold car. Then, after 15 minutes of driving, temp guage shows nromal temp (have had car for 5 years, replaced temperature guage within past 6 months, reads just a tad hotter but maybe half a tick) and I stop the car.

Antifreeze spills out from chock full expansion tank, and then when it's at or just below the minimum line, maybe 5 minutes later, it stops running out.

So I'm putting in a pint to a quart of antifeeze each time I drive my car more than 10 minutes. If I keep it to 10 minutes or less, no problem. This is getting expensive, and pollutes.

Other info - timing belt replaced on time at 160k, about 9 months ago. Did not replace water pump at the time, to save cost, but I wish I had. It, or something near it, is whirring.

Plus, in last 3 months, power steering fluid started to leak, but recent stop leak of 2 weeks ago seems to have curbed that.

I read where timing belt mis-adjustment can cause cololant and oil to go excessively. Oil needs have been about a quart every 1,000 miles since I got car 5 years ago, and I was told that was what took when I got it.

I need this car to go past 200k. It has be good so far, normal repairs, nothing excessive. 3 kids in college and it's too far to walk to work.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser