1996 Audi A4 96 A4 no heat after replacment core, thermosta

MRMOJORISONX
  • 1996 AUDI A4
It is getting col and would like to fix this fast as possible. I have owned this Audi for about 9 months I have all receipts from previous owner about 12k ago he had the heater core replaced, thermostat and timing done by an Audi dealer. Only warm air comes out the top vents. Both hoses going to the core get hot and I hear movent of vent flaps when I change the tem.
Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 AT 2:20 PM

MASTERTECHTIM
Try removing hoses from heater core and blow through them to make sure its not full of debris. If that checks out ok then you will have to look real close at the blend door to make sure it is fully closing. What I do is lay under dash and move from hot to cold to find the door and make sure the actuator is moving all the way. There is usually a rod connected to a arm and there are adjustments on them, remove the rod and physically close the door and see if you get heat.
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 AT 4:02 PM
MRMOJORISONX
Well I did the easier of the two first. Took down the glove box and under dash pad. Changed from hot to cold the arm works great, smooth transition from open to closed. I am going to the local dealer to get some antifreeze.I think there is a bad mix in the car now "over the counter Autozone crap" I will take both lines from the heater core off and attach a hose to the one and see what flushes out. I tried bleeding it from there and did not see any kind of stream come out, it just dribbled out. I think we have found the problem. Fingers crossed!
Thursday, November 13th, 2008 AT 11:16 AM
MRMOJORISONX
And congrats on being a Father!
MASTERTECHTIM
Friday, November 14th, 2008 AT 2:24 PM
MRMOJORISONX
Well I could use a little more help. I tried taking both hoses off and attaching a garden hose to the inlet pipes going to the heater core.I put it one one then the other. It only flushed out some coolant nothing else. Should I attach the garden hose to a hose on the car or the pipe inlet? Still no heat. Thank you very much.
Friday, November 14th, 2008 AT 4:47 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
It flows out real fast with the garden hose?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/139033_no_16.jpg

this temp door motor works perfect, from cold to hot? i will keep looking and see what else i can find.
Friday, November 14th, 2008 AT 5:04 PM
MRMOJORISONX
It flows out just as fast as the water from the hose.I will look at the flap again tomorrow. I wasnt sure were to hook the hose up[ to is it the 2 plastic parts of the heater core assembly or the hoses going in and out of the motor? Thanks again. One by one we will try all possible things
Friday, November 14th, 2008 AT 7:10 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
By flowing water through heater core itself confirms the heater core is not restricted. The inlet heater hose should be hotter than the outlet hose, if they are hot then you need to find the problem under dash
Saturday, November 15th, 2008 AT 6:30 AM
MRMOJORISONX
Well at least we crossed the heater core off of the list. I will take the arm off and try opening and closing manually. To be sure. We are geting closer
Saturday, November 15th, 2008 AT 9:42 AM
MRMOJORISONX
Just to be sure is the arm I am looking for located near the middle of the console under dash?
Sunday, November 16th, 2008 AT 11:44 AM
MRMOJORISONX
Well today all of a sudden the heater started to get more hot. Not really hot but a good deal warmmer. I took the arm off of the relay motor to see if I good get more heat but it did not get any warmmer. I am going to bleed the system a little more to see if that works. Can you figure out why? And is there anything more I can do to get more heat?
Monday, November 17th, 2008 AT 1:47 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
Is it possible the thermostat is not getting hot enough? Is engine temp in normal area?
Monday, November 17th, 2008 AT 3:32 PM
MRMOJORISONX
The thermostat was replaced this Feb, the temp at full operation sits at half. Right between hot and cold or straight up.
Monday, November 17th, 2008 AT 5:06 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
Thats right where it should be. Make sure no air then recheck hoses in and out of heater core and feel if they are hot. You have basically covered all possible problems. Unless there is no flow through the inlet hose or a blocked return which is unlikely and im not exactly sure the routing of that system. Maybe you could try removing hose from heater core and run engine and see if there is good flow through the inlet hose to heater core and then you could try blowing compressed air into the return lightly and see if flow comes out of heater core inlet, when engine is off.
Monday, November 17th, 2008 AT 5:36 PM
MRMOJORISONX
Here is the thing. I was getting some heat and now its cold again.I took the arm from the motor so the flap is in place. Do you think the stat is stuck open? The tep gure gets to normal tep position
Saturday, November 22nd, 2008 AT 10:43 AM
MASTERTECHTIM
Its possible. I would definitely double check and check passages when thermostat is out to make sure a old gasket is not blocking a water passage.
Saturday, November 22nd, 2008 AT 12:08 PM
WORKDRAGON
I have the same problem with my 1996 Audi a4. I have also replaced the core, thermastat, waterpump, checked all the heater/ac doors. I get heat through the defrost vent but not the front vents and it is only warm at high RPM. You are not alone.
Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 AT 2:13 PM