Anti-theft reset

MARIAH BUCHANAN
  • 2002 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Recently I had my keys stolen and so somebody had a great idea of taking my ignition apart, ever since then I have not been able to start my car. I got a new ignition switch with the key and tumbler that still does not seem to work. I have done it through try to reset the system through the stereo I have done the BCM cluster fuse. I have done numerous of ten minutes relearn processes and it still nothing seems to be working. I changed out the BCM the body control module and then it did not work and so I replaced the old one again. I am so frustrated and so confused at what I need to do it has been a month and a half and still no vehicle. It is my only vehicle and a disabled single mother, so if anybody could possibly please help me and tell me what I need to do I would really greatly appreciate it.
Thursday, December 8th, 2016 AT 12:25 PM

WRENCHTECH
This Passlock system does not use a transponder key and does not require any special programming to replace the key or ignition switch.

The theft deterrent system has been incorporated into the Body Control Module (BCM). The theft deterrent system prevents the vehicle operation if the correct key is not used in order to start the vehicle. The ignition key turns the ignition lock cylinder. The cylinder rotation produces an analog voltage code in the PASSLOCK sensor. This voltage code is received by the BCM. The BCM compares the voltage code to the previously learned voltage code. If the codes match, a class 2 message is sent from the BCM to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The message enables the fuel injectors and the crank relay.

The design of the PASSLOCK system is to prevent vehicle theft by disabling the engine unless the ignition lock cylinder rotates properly by engaging the correct ignition key. The system is similar in concept to the passkey system. However, the PASSLOCK system eliminates the need for a key mounted resistor pellet. The components of the PASSLOCK system are as follows:

The ignition lock cylinder
The ignition switch
The PASSLOCK sensor
The Body Control Module (BCM)
The SECURITY indicator
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

PROGRAMMING THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM COMPONENTS

PROGRAMMING REPLACEMENT PASSLOCK(TM) SENSOR, BCM, OR PCM

IMPORTANT:

The body control module (BCM) must be programmed with the proper RPO configurations before performing learn procedures. Refer to Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration in Body Control System.
If replacing the BCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, the module will learn PASSLOCK sensor data code immediately. The existing PCM however, must learn the new fuel continue password when the BCM is replaced.
If replacing a PCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, after programming, these modules will learn the incoming fuel continue password immediately upon receipt of a password message. Once a password message is received, and a password is learned, a learn procedure must be performed to change this password again. A PCM which has been previously installed in another vehicle will have learned the other vehicle's fuel continue password and will require a learn procedure after programming to learn the current vehicle's password.

CONDITIONS
Use this procedure after replacing any of the following:

Passlock(TM) Sensor
BCM
PCM

LEARN PROCEDURES
There are two available methods to perform the programming procedure:

A 10 minutes procedure which requires a Tech 2 and a techline terminal.
A 30 minutes procedure which does not require the use of any tools.

10 MINUTE LEARN PROCEDURE

TOOLS REQUIRED

Tech 2
Techline terminal with current SPS (Service Programming System) software

Connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle.
Select "Request Information" under "Service Programming".
Disconnect the Tech 2 from the vehicle and connect it to a techline terminal.
On the techline terminal, select "Theft Module Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
Disconnect the Tech 2 from the techline terminal and connect it to the vehicle.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Select "WTD Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the PASSLOCK Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the password).
With the Tech 2 (scan tool), clear any DTCs.

30 MINUTE LEARN PROCEDURE

TOOLS REQUIRED
None

Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the PASSLOCK Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).

IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the PASSLOCK Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the PASSLOCK Sensor Data Code and/or password).
With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).
Friday, March 12th, 2021 AT 9:24 AM

Sponsored links