Anybody familiar with balance shafts on B2600i Mazda?

ORIGINALMAZDAWG
  • 2012 ALL OTHER MAKES ALL OTHER MODELS

I have a '93 B2600i 2WD 5-spd. It started making a rattling noise from the front most part of the engine where the timing chain and the balance shafts are located. I am suspecting the balance shaft chain. It is early in the week, I wont be able to tear into it until the weekend. Can I still drive it with this noise, it seems to be running fine. I heard it though the grape vine that the oil pump is driven by this chain, then again I heard that it was only like that on '89 and earlier 2.6's. I really need to drive my truck, but I do not want to cause any major damage by driving it like that if it is something that cannot be driven and needs immediate attention. Do I need to park it? Thanks ina dvance for your help.

Tuesday, October 10th, 2006 AT 4:43 PM

2CARPROS MIKE
  • 712 POSTS

You should park it and have it inspected immediately. If it is making noise it is already failing and you don't want to make it worse.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Monday, May 12th, 2014 AT 12:14 PM

Help us by donating