ANYBODY FAMILIAR WITH BALANCE SHAFTS ON B2600I MAZDA?

• originalmazdawg
  • 2012 All Other Makes All Other Models

I have a '93 B2600i 2WD 5-spd. It started making a rattling noise from the front most part of the engine where the timing chain and the balance shafts are located. I am suspecting the balance shaft chain. It is early in the week, I wont be able to tear into it until the weekend. Can I still drive it with this noise, it seems to be running fine. I heard it though the grape vine that the oil pump is driven by this chain, then again I heard that it was only like that on '89 and earlier 2.6's. I really need to drive my truck, but I do not want to cause any major damage by driving it like that if it is something that cannot be driven and needs immediate attention. Do I need to park it? Thanks ina dvance for your help.

Tuesday, October 10th, 2006 AT 4:43 PM

• 2CarPros Mike
  • 711 posts

You should park it and have it inspected immediately. If it is making noise it is already failing and you don't want to make it worse.

Monday, May 12th, 2014 AT 12:14 PM