96 Pathfinder-Dies Unexpectedly

BBERG65
  • 1996 ALL OTHER MAKES ALL OTHER MODELS
Ignition System Malfunction When driving-Happens more frequently in warm weather

Q: Just as the weather is turning warmer my symptoms listed below are becoming more frequent. (Happened 5 times yesterday alone) My car seems to be running great. No sputtering, no rough idle, no missing, no noises, no power loss.

But all of a sudden it will totally die either when driving or at a stop. I have just recently had a diagnostic tests done (3 times at a garage) but no codes show up other than speed control.

I have no electrical loss whatsoever when the problem occurs. The radio or air con still work. It doesn’t run hot. I know it isn’t a distributor problem as I have pulled the coil wire off as well as the spark plug wires at the distributor and arc looks good.

When it dies, the tachometer just totally drops without warning. A second or two later the red warining lights come on. I can be driving normally, or even at high rpm’s when it happens. Sometimes I have to wait a minute or two (or a few seconds) for it to start back up again.

The "Check Engine" light never comes on.

The fuel system has been checked out and it works fine.

Could it have something to do with the oxygen sensor? The mass air flow sensor? Fuel pump? Fuel relay switch?

Please email me at: bberg65@mac. Com to give me a few parts to check into before I go buying parts for it.

Thank you very much for your time.
Friday, March 23rd, 2007 AT 7:47 AM

Have the fuel pressure check
Friday, March 23rd, 2007 AT 6:58 PM