91 Tercel stutters at all speeds cuts out momentarily someti

TIM BOVEE
  • 1991 ALL OTHER MAKES ALL OTHER MODELS
91 Tercel with 1500 EFI standard transmission and 90,670 miles.

Car stutters very slightly all the time. (Like hitting small bumps in road). Ocassionally when climbing hill at 25 mph in second gear it will momentarily die (less than one second). It acts like it is running out of fuel. It is not a single cylinder thing, rather the entire engine. Last night immediatly after it momentarily died I ran it up to about 55 mph in second gear, (lots of R's lots of fuel cansumption) to verify low fuel flow, and could not get it to increase symptoms or die again.

I have changed fuel filter. While changing filter I verified flow and it seems to have plenty (no accurate volume measurement or pressure guage).

Probably unrelated clue; It smokes slightly when first started, like bad valve guides or seals.

Any ideas will be greatly appriciated by my wife. This was her first new car 15 years ago and I think it may hold more value to her than I.

Thanks for your consideration, Tim.
Friday, November 3rd, 2006 AT 12:12 PM

Check the fuel operating pressure with a gauge
Monday, November 6th, 2006 AT 3:14 AM