1990 F-53/460 Won't Run

RICHARD CRANIUM
  • 1990 ALL OTHER MAKES ALL OTHER MODELS
I have a motorhome on a 1990 F-53 chassis with a 460 engine, with 56,000 miles on it. Yesterday it just lost all power while driving, almost like someone fllipped a switch. Full throttled it and would barley move. It's hard to keep running, rpm's do not go up much from iddle to full throttle. Pulled the engine cover, nothing out of the ordinary visable. There is what I think is part of the smog system that is making a rattle noise while at full throttle. This part has three hoses hooked up to it, two of those go back to the caddilattic converter on the exhaust. Also while I try to keep it running, there seems to be exhaust fumes inside the motorhome. To me the engine seems to be "choking out", starving for air. Pulled off the two air intake hoses, still the same. Throttle linkage/butterfly are working. Could my caddilattic converter be plugged up? Topper is, the motorhome is 225 miles away from home and any mechanics I know. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Sunday, March 12th, 2006 AT 1:54 PM

PEPPERMRJ
Cat could be plugged. They usually will run briefly the start to die. A simple test with a vacuum gauge will tell. Also I have been told that if you remove the O2 sensor from the ehaust and performance improves that is a sign of a plugged cat.

How bout a clogged fuel filter?

Richard Cranium, Now I don't care who you are thats funny. :)

Good luck and let us know. :
Sunday, March 12th, 2006 AT 7:50 PM