190E ALTERNATOR BAD AT SHOP AFTER A/C SYSTEM SERVICE

1919 All Other Makes All Other Models

mindinspired

July, 26, 2006 AT 4:49 PM

1991 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.6 Automatic

I took the car in for A/C system check believeing it was probably low on freon. I have only owned the car for one month and the A/C was not running at stops or low idle. The shop informed me the freon was contaminated and I'd have to evacuate the system to fill it back up with clean R12. Then they informed me it needed a new relay, which was all completed.

Apparently the system was running perfectly, then the fans quit running. When they called me back today, they said that the A/C system needed an expansion valve and that my car died in the intersection. The battery was dead and the alternator had 0 output. I never experienced a problem with starting or driving the vehicle and had even had it checked out by a different mechanic a couple weeks prior.

I was aware that one set of gages wasn't working, which includes the fuel level gage. I had asked the shop to check the fuses, but we've been focused more on the A/C in our conversations. Now, I am wondering if this could be a fuse/relay type of problem or?

At this point, the price quoted to me for the alternator replacement was rather out of bounds from what I could find out, so I am not feeling comfortable with this repair at all. Please advise.

My Alternator Quit Charging

Charging System Trouble

Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler