Air leak after changing spark plugs on 2003 Camry V6

• 2 POSTS

*** Before I state my problem you should know I would have made a donation if your payment info screen wasn't so sketchy.

Hi. I recently changed the spark plugs in my 2003 camry v6, having to take off the intake manifold to get at the back 3 plugs, and now my check engine light is on. The code reads 'System too lean (bank 1)' so I'm assuming I have a small air leak. I didn't replace the gasket on the intake, should I have? I went to O'Reilly's to ask about it and couldn't get a straight answer. When they tried to look up the intake manifold gasket in their computer it shows that you have to buy a package of 4 gaskets but it seems that I should only need to replace one: the gasket between the intake manifold (plenum) and the head (? Or block. Whatever the manifold attaches to). Are there actually 4 gaskets that I need to replace? Do you think the gasket between the manifold and head is a likely place for an air leak? Thanks for any help you can give.

Monday, October 20th, 2014 AT 4:27 PM

A "Manifold set" would consist of any gaskets used to completely disassemble the manifold. You may have to purchase those extra gaskets but you don't have to use them unless you actually disassembled the other parts.

Unless that was a paper gasket and you really tore it up, I doubt you have a severe enough leak there to cause that code. I would more suspect that you left a hose off somewhere.

Monday, October 20th, 2014 AT 4:55 PM