Air conditioning does not work at start up

FRASIER M SMITH
  • 2008 BMW 650I
I saw your answer to a guy back in 2010 on the exact same problem. The AC on my 6 car sometimes does not come on after start up for 5 to 10 minutes. Then it works perfectly. Sometimes I fix the problem by cutting off the engine right after start up then starting up again but that does not work every time. I took it to the dealer today and explained the problem. They called and said it is the compressor and I need a new one for $2400. How can it be the compressor when it works perfectly most of the time? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Frasier Smith
Monday, June 8th, 2015 AT 2:35 PM

First, I find it hard to believe the compressor is bad with the miles and age of the vehicle. As far as the compressor, it functions as both a compressor and a vacuum pump. If it is worn, it could work at times and not others. However, can you tell me if the compressor kicks on when the system doesn't cool? Also, has the dealer provided both high and low side pressures to you so I can take a look at them?
Monday, June 8th, 2015 AT 6:38 PM