Air Conditioner Not Working - Clutch Cycles On-Off-On-Off-On-Off

WALLLLLLTER
  • 1999 JEEP CHEROKEE
Air comes out just barely, barely cold. Compressor is a SANDEN Model U4886 and was replaced in the past. There is no sight glass on the filter/drier. I put a gauge on the low pressure valve with the AC running and the freon level checks out OK [in the red zone]; I don't believe freon level is low. No visible signs of refrigerant oil at junctions to show signs of leaking. Clutch continuously cycles about 3 seconds on - 5 seconds off - 3 seconds on, etc. But won't stay engaged for more than 3 seconds. High pressure side piping at compressor too hot to touch - maybe this is normal? Or does this indicate some blockage in the system and a high pressure cutoff switch keeps on disengaging the clutch?

1. Why won't the clutch stay engaged? Bad gap? Weak magnets? Should the clutch be replaced, and if so, can this be done without evacuating the freon?
2. The Jeep has something called an AC cycling switch? Could this be bad, should it be replaced, and if so, can this be done without evacuating the freon?

Thanks for your help!
Saturday, July 20th, 2013 AT 12:39 PM

WITHOUT KNOWING THE "HIGH AND LOW PRESSURES" OF THE SYSTEM USING A "REAL" SET OF GAUGES

. OR EVEN NOT KNOWING WHAT'S BEEN PUT IN IN THE PAST. SUCH AS OIL. THE CORRECT KIND. CORRECT AMOUNT. WAY TOO MUCH. OR TOO LITTLE

THIS IS A HARD CALL FOR ANYONE

"with the AC running and the freon level checks out OK [in the red zone]". SORTA LIKE SAYING, "MY CAR IS STILL MOVING.I'VE NEVER CHECKED THE OIL. HOW LONG WILL IT CONTINUE TO RUN?

("VAGUE" IS WHAT I'M GETTING AT!)

. SO, JUST SORTA JUDGING FROM THE QUESTION. SOME "BASIC TRAINING" MIGHT BE IN ORDER

I ALSO ASSUME YOU DON'T HAVE A REAL SET OF GAUGES. NOR WOULD YOU KNOW HOW TO DIAGNOSE AN ISSUE BASED ON THE MANY POSSIBLE READINGS FROM THE HIGH AND LOW SIDES

. YOU JUST WANNA BE COOL. THE EZist WAY POSSIBLE!

.I'M NOT TRYING TO BE A SMARTY PANTS, I'LL GUIDE YOU THE BEST WAY I CAN TO DIY THIS. ANYTHING ABOVE THIS, I WOULD SUGGEST SEEKING AN AUTOMOTIVE A/C FELLER. IT'S REALLY EZ TO MESS THINGS UP, AND THEN COST YOU AN ARM AND A LEG IN THE END

SO.1ST THING. LET'S INSURE YOU ARE NOT OVERCHARGED. YOU CAN'T JUST ADD ALL YOU WANT!. IT HAS TO BE THE CORRECT AMOUNTS. INSTALLED THE CORRECT WAY

AFTER THAT. AND STILL NOT COOLING OR WORKING. THERE IS SURELY ANOTHER PROBLEM!

I'M GONNA SEND YOU TO "YOU TUBE"

THERE IS A PRODUCT CALLED "A/C PRO". THE NEAT THING IS THEIR GAUGE. THEIR GAUGE TAKES INTO ACCOUNT "AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURE", MEANING YOU SET THE DIAL TO THE AIR TEMP AND THEN KEEP YOUR FINAL ADDED PRESSURE IN THE "V" (AS DEPENDING ON THE OUTSIDE TEMP, THE GAS EXPANDS OR CONTRACTS--ON A HOT DAY LESS MAY BE NEEDED THAN ON A COOLER DAY)

. THIS BOTTLE WAS DESIGNED FOR THE DIYer, A VIDEO ALONG WITH IT, MAKES IT EVEN BETTER

AFTER IT IS EXPENDED, THE GAUGE/ FILLER WILL WORK ON SMALLER CANS IN THE FUTURE

OK, WATCH THIS A FEW TIMES.I'M GIVING YOU TWO TITLES. FIND AND WATCH BOTH IN "YOU TUBE"

How to Recharge a Car's AC System the Easy Way

How to Recharge Your Car AC with AC Pro

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOURS SHOULD READ (RED).I'M NOT GETTING A KICKBACK FROM "A/C PRO", BUT WITHOUT BEING THERE, AND ATTEMPTING A FULL SCALE FOUR YEAR HVAC TEACHING SESSION OVER THE NET

. THIS WOULD BE THE BEST-US WAY I KNOW FOR YOU TO DIY A HALFWAY ACCURATE PRESSURE READING (MAYBE YOU ARE WAY OVERFILLED). AS YOU DON'T WANNA ATTEMPT ANY REPAIRS THAT YOU DON'T NEED, WITHOUT KNOWING THIS VITAL INFORMATION!

IF THIS DON'T GET YOU ON TRACK. PLEASE SEEK OUT A REAL HVAC GUY, WHO CAN "HANDS ON" YOUR SITUATION!

I HOPE THIS HELPS!

Saturday, July 20th, 2013 AT 2:34 PM