After removing old Timing belt my rear CAM is not at TDC

BRENT999
  • 2007 HONDA ACCORD
I have a 2007 Honda Accord LX 3.0 Vtec. I am in the process of changing the timing belt. Before I removed the old belt, I rotated the Crankshaft and set both cams and the crank to TDC. I removed the old belt installed the new one and was about to pull the tensioner pin. I figured I would double check everything first. To sum up now my crank is at TDC. My Front cam is at TDC but my rear cam is at approx 3 o'clock. I can not turn the rear cam far enough. I tried and it sprung to 9 o'clock (Praying I didn't bend a valve). Please help.
Tuesday, September 16th, 2014 AT 10:33 AM

You didn't bend any valves unless you really forced the cam sprocket. To get the cam to top dead center, just turn the crankshaft the same way the cam sprocket is off about 1/8 turn. You only need to move the crank far enough to lower the pistons so none of them are at top dead center. That will let you place the cam sprockets in the right position, but you'll have to do something to hold them there while you bring the crank back to tdc.
Tuesday, September 16th, 2014 AT 11:58 AM
BRENT999
Thank you for the help. I kinda figured it was going to require a bit of force but I was hesitant to do that. I also didn't know to offset the crank. I offset the crank and the rear cam was right on the verge of "triggering" off the tdc. I offset the crank as you suggested. I forced the rear cam into position. Wasn't easy but wasn't too hard either. Cool thing was I played with the crank and cam first and could actually feel when there was contact. Being a novice to mechanics this was a very good learning experience. Anyways I supported the wrench holding the rear cam into place with a book (wedged against the frame). It was all I could find that was the perfect size. I then placed a 2 x 4 across the top of the engine. My son held the 2x4 while I repositioned the crank and viola. Belts on and all marks line up. No significant force was required. I manually rotated the crank multiple times. Feel smooth and all marks kept. I am confident I'm in the clear. Got a late start yesterday. I'll button her up today test and report. Thanks again. I appreciate the help.
Thursday, September 18th, 2014 AT 4:17 AM
Dandy. I never trust myself until I see the engine run, and you can do that without installing all the covers. Once it has run a few seconds, check for oil and coolant leaks, then double-check the timing and the belt tension, THEN put everything together.
Thursday, September 18th, 2014 AT 8:12 PM