Check engine light

NEDU
  • 2005 ACURA TL

Six cylinder two wheel drive automatic 58,000 miles.

Hi,
A check engine light came on at around 57,000 miles. I took it to the Acura dealer and they want to replace a sensor. The care drives fine other than the check engine light (which is going to cost about $500.00 to fix) is this something I can do myself? Do I have any other options?

Thanks,
Nadeem

Monday, March 8th, 2010 AT 12:05 PM

LEGITIMATE007

It all depends what the sensor is, did they tell you which one you need?

Monday, March 8th, 2010 AT 2:08 PM
NEDU

Here is what it says on the bill for the diagnose charge: Part 57812 code P1172, B1S1 A/F sensor out of range.

I called the BBB Autoline to find out if this kind of repair is covered under the extended warranties (8/80) and they are not cooperative at all.

Thanks,
Nedu

Wednesday, March 10th, 2010 AT 9:11 AM
LEGITIMATE007

P1178 O2 sensor signal circuit slow switching from rich to lean (bank 1 sensor 1).
The other one I am not familiar with. If you know someone handy and semi mechanically inclined, they can change that o2 sensor, easily.

Wednesday, March 10th, 2010 AT 10:48 AM
NEDU

Where can I find instructions to do it myself? I was searching online but could not fiend anything for my car. Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Nedu

Friday, March 12th, 2010 AT 6:40 PM
LEGITIMATE007

To change an oxygen sensor (o2 sensor) you just unplug it, and unscrew it from out of the exhaust pipe/manifold, and replace it. Also, if your up to it, the mechanics that do the repairs for the dealers, will do work like this on the side, for like fifty dollars, to change an oxygen sensor, all you have to do is ask them. Pull them to the side, and ask them. Because of the difficulty, there are really no instructions to do this because you just unplug and unscrew.

Saturday, March 13th, 2010 AT 8:36 AM
NEDU

TL P1172 Bank 1 sensor 1 is out of range. I bought the sensor online. I need to know exact location of this sensor on the car. How do I get to it? Is it under the hood or under the car? Are there any instructions available online? Are there any photos available? I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Nedu

Sunday, March 28th, 2010 AT 10:44 PM
LEGITIMATE007

Here you go, it should be fairly easy to do because it is right in the front of the engine.

Tuesday, March 30th, 2010 AT 9:00 PM
LEGITIMATE007

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/88091_bank_1_sensor1_1.jpg

+6
Tuesday, March 30th, 2010 AT 9:01 PM
NEDU

Thank you very much.

Nedu

Friday, April 2nd, 2010 AT 6:28 AM
LEGITIMATE007

You are very welcome. Come back anytime.

Friday, April 2nd, 2010 AT 8:58 AM
NEDU

I replaced the sensor (bank 1 sensor 1) with part number BS13965 oxygen sensor but the check engine light is still on. I try to rest it by unplugging the battery, the light went away for about five minutes but then came back. I am not sure why. Is this the correct replacement part? I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Nedu

Saturday, April 10th, 2010 AT 9:24 PM
MORO1PRINCE

Does you car lose power from time to time when engine light comes on?

Thursday, December 23rd, 2010 AT 7:59 PM