TCS light

ACURATL1997
  • 1996 ACURA TL
TCS light continue on and stay on until. What could be wrong.
Tuesday, January 22nd, 2008 AT 3:53 AM

JEREMIAH
Unless you pushed the "TCS OFF" button,located at the lower left side area of the dashboard,by accident of course............there is a problem with your traction control system.
the only way to find out the exact problem is to have the vehicle scanned and diagnosed. Have the engine and ABS scanned as they can have an effect on the TCS system if there is a throttle control or brake issue

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing
Tuesday, January 22nd, 2008 AT 4:02 AM
KHLOW2008
Hi d robert,

The indicators lights coming on indicates the ABS system has a fault and has been disabled. It is not going to damage anything so you can continue to drive vehicle but it must be noted that the ABS (Antilocking Brake) system is not working.

Get a scan done to retrieve the trouble codes to understand what is causing it.
Sunday, November 25th, 2018 AT 11:56 AM (Merged)
212008386
  • 1999 ACURA TL
I was driving on freeway and Check Engine and TCS lights came on at the same time. TCS light goes off and on sometimes but Check Engine has been continuously illuminated for over a week now. I had trouble codes checked at Autozone and they are P0420 and P0401. The car is running fine. What could be the problem? Thanks!
BMRFIXIT
P0401
its an EGR code
they had a service bulletin on the subject
to clean the EGR port and installing a new EGR pipe KIT
KIT # P/N 06175 P8E-A00

do this 1st clear codes and drive if code P0420 come back
should have the catalytic converter check and suspect its bad and need to be replaced
good luck
RALLVERI
  • 2001 ACURA TL
Our car's Check Engine light is on, and the TCS light goes off and on. A code reader keeps giving us code 740. The lock-up and linear solenoids tested good. The transmission fluid has been changed. And the external filter (on top of tranny) has been changed. The internal tranny filter has not been changed. Any ideas why we still get those dash lights and the 740 code? Car seems to shift smoothly.
KHLOW2008
Hi rallveri,

Here are the diagnostic procedures.

DTC P0740: PROBLEM IN LOCK-UP CONTROL SYSTEM
NOTE:

Keep these replacement solenoid valves on hand:

Torque converter clutch solenoid valve
A/T clutch pressure control solenoid valve C

1. Check whether the OBD II scan tool indicates another code.

Does the OBD II scan tool indicate another code?

YES - Perform the troubleshooting flowchart for the indicated code(s). Recheck for code P0740 after troubleshooting.
NO - Go to step 2.
NOTE:

Do not continue with this troubleshooting until the causes of any other DTCs have been corrected.

2. Measure the line pressure.

Is the line pressure within the service limit?

YES - Go to step 3.
NO - Repair the hydraulic system as necessary.

3. Replace the torque converter clutch solenoid valve. See Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Valve Test.
4. Replace the A/T clutch pressure control solenoid valve C.

5. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and reset the PCM memory by removing the BACK UP fuse in the passenger's under-dash fuse/relay box for more than 10 seconds.

6. Using the scan tool, check to be sure that the engine coolant temperature is 176 ohmF (80 ohmC) or above.

7. Calibrate the engine idle control system in the PCM, see PCM Idle Learn Procedure, and drive the vehicle at 55 mph (88 km/h) for more than one minute.

8. Recheck for code P0740.

Does the OBD II scan tool indicate code P0740?

YES - Replace the transmission and torque converter.
NO - The system is OK at this time.
RALLVERI
Thanks for the quick and thorough reply. We will go through all the steps you mentioned. Can you guide me to some simple instructions for testing the line pressure? That's the only step I'm not sure about.
KHLOW2008
You're welcomed.

Here are the testing procedures.

PRESSURE TESTS
Special Tools Required

" A/T oil pressure gauge set 07406-0020400 or 07406-0020401
" A/T pressure hose, 2210 mm 07MAJ-PY4011A
" A/T pressure hose adapter 07MAJ-PY40120

1. Before testing, be sure the transmission fluid is filled to the proper level.

2. Raise the front of the vehicle, and make sure it is securely supported.

3. Set the parking brake, and block rear wheels securely.

4. Allow the front wheels to rotate freely.

5. Warm up the engine (the radiator fan comes on), then stop it and connect a tachometer.

6. Connect the oil pressure gauges to each inspection hole securely, and do not allow dust or other foreign particles to enter the holes.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_PressureGauges01Acura32TLFig190_1.jpg

7. Start the engine, and run it at 1,500 rpm in the [
P ] or [ N ] position.

8. Measure line pressure at line pressure inspection hole (A) in the [ N ] or [ P ] position.

NOTE:
Higher pressure may be indicated if measurements are made in shift lever positions other than [N ] or [P ].

9. Shift to the [ 1 ] position, and measure 1st clutch pressure at the 1st clutch pressure inspection hole (B) and 1st-hold clutch pressure at the 1st-hold clutch inspection hole (C).

10. Shift to the [ 2 ] position, and measure 2nd clutch pressure at the 2nd clutch pressure inspection hole (D).

11. Shift to the [ P ] position, then press the brake pedal and hold it.

12. Shift to the [ 2 ] position, and release the brake pedal (the transmission should be in 2nd gear).

13. Press the accelerator very slowly to increase engine speed to 2,000 rpm gradually over 10 seconds, then hold it at 2,000 rpm for the remainder of the tests.

14. Shift to the [ D3 ] position (the transmission will shift to 3rd gear), and measure 3rd cluth pressure at the 3rd clutch pressure inspection hole (E).

15. Shift to the [ D4 ] position (the transmission will shift to 4th gear), and measure 4th clutch pressure at the 4th clutch pressure inspection hole (F).

16.
Shift to the [ D 5 ] position (the transmission will shift to 5th gear), and measure 5th clutch pressure at the 5th clutch pressure inspection hole (G).

17. Shift to the [ R ] position, and measure 5th clutch pressure at the 5th clutch pressure inspection hole.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_PressureGauges01Acura32TLFig191_1.jpg

18. Reinstall the sealing bolts with new sealing washers, and tighten the bolts to the specified torque.

TORQUE:
18 N.m (1.8 kgf.m, 13 Ft. Lbs.)

NOTE:
Do not reuse the old sealing washers.

TYSTEPH
  • 1999 ACURA TL
I have a 1999 Acura 3.2TL & my TCS Light is on? What is this & how do I get it fixed? I was told it was the "Traction Control System" light?
+1
KHLOW2008
Hi tysteph,

Yes, that is the Traction Control System indicator light.

Is the Check Engine Light indicating ads well?

You would need to retrieve the trouble code to understand what caused it.

Autozone provides free scanning services for CEL. Get it done and let me know the exact trouble codes.