Car will not start

MICHAELWHITE622
  • 1994 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder front wheel drive manual 198,000 miles

My car will not start, when I turn the key it does not try to crank or click or anything at all. My dash lights all work fine. I have a brand new battery, a brand new alternator, and my starter was tested and works fine. At first it just would not try to turn over or anything so I had to push start it, it worked fine. now it does not even do anything as far as trying to start.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/336333_cacccuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu_1.jpg

Wednesday, March 25th, 2009 AT 10:39 PM

Inspect and test the starter cut relay and clutch interlock switch.

-1
Wednesday, March 25th, 2009 AT 10:50 PM
JLABRIE
  • 1994 ACURA INTEGRA

While driving my car, I downshifted too early into second, the car shut off instantly and now will not start. It cranks, but will not turn over. What could the problem be?
Try jump starting it, jumper cables, new spark plugs.

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 9:07 PM (Merged)
KHLOW2008

Check the timing belt. It could have skipped tooth or gone bad. Ensure the rotor is turning while cranking.

MINX234523
  • 1994 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder two wheel drive automatic

So my car was having a small problem before with me turning it off and the back on. When I turned it off and then came back to turn it on it would want to start but it just would not click on completely after a few tries then it would start. Well now it is shutting off while I am driving. I will drive a couple of miles on it and as soon as I brake the car will sort of shake a tiny bit and shut off. So I turn the key to turn it back on and it will just do the same thing, it will want to start but it just does not fully start anymore. I have checked the battery, I have checked the fuses and they work fine. But curiously I changed the distributor cap and it worked, but now it is doing the same problem (take in mind that my car alarm has stopped working right when all this started happening). So I do not know if I have an electrical problem or mechanical. Will someone please help.

F4I_GUY

Did your alarm have a fuel cut off or immobilizer? If your alarm cut off fuel or ignition then I would definitely suspect the alarm to be causing this.

Remove the panel underneath the steering column (four Philip screws) and you should be able to see the brain to the alarm system as well as the wiring harness for it. Check to make sure everything looks right. No burnt wires, connections are solid, etc.

MINX234523

I think I misreported what I meant. What I meant to say was that the horn for my alarm is not working anymore, but my alarm is still working though. Also, I have noticed that every time I keep turning the ignition key, the power to the interior kind of starts shutting down as well as the car's cranking noise.

THIAS
  • 1994 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder two wheel drive automatic

I had the car sitting in the drive way for about a year. I tried to start it yesterday. I changed the spark plugs, oil and cleaned the distributor cap. I placed the wires back into their respective holes, in the distributor cap. The car seems to want to start, it cranks, but the engine will not start. At times, when I try to start it there is a somewhat dim and sporadic explosive noise coming out of the muffler followed by the smell of gas. Please help. Thanks

Check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/pressure regulator and fuel pump comeback with the fuel pressure readings. We start here.

MINX234523
  • 1994 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder two wheel drive automatic 153,000 miles

My car was starting at first but at times when I pulled in to park somewhere and shut it off as soon as I turn the key it would not want to start until a couple of turns of the key. So now it is doing something different it is shutting off on me while I am driving. I drive it a couple of miles and as soon as I brake at a light it shuts off on me. When I try to restart it sounds like it wants to start but it does not turnover. I have checked the battery, the fuses, and I replaced the distributor cap on it. I am running out of Ideas. Can somebody help me please?

MMPRINCE4000

Most likely an ignition module. You can remove it and have it tested at most auto-parts stores for free.

If bad, check prices for an ignition module vs. A re-manufactured distributor with a new module. On many Japanese cars, it is cheaper to buy the re-manufactured distributor with module vs. The module itself.

MARIO ALVAREZ
  • 1994 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder two wheel drive automatic 170,000 miles

engine wants to crank over but it will not start.

Get a helper disconnect a spark plug wire or two and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer.

SPYKEFLEMING@YAHOO.COM
  • 1994 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder front wheel drive manual 195,000 miles

My car started doing this intermittently last year. It would start and instantly stall. If you tried gassing it up on the start it would rev up and instantly drop.

At first I thought it was a fuel pump issue as it seemed that I could try to prime the pump by turning the key on for a few seconds and off before trying to start. But yesterday none of that worked. I could barely get it started. I also noticed a new symptom. It seemed like when it stalled it was not a fuel loss stall as I would rev the engine on the start and it would instantly drop. Also, the dash lights did not come on after the stall. It seamed like a loss of power issue. But it is intermittent. I could barely get home from work last night, this morning starts first try. Also, I do not believe it is a temperature issue as I have a heated garage and it is cold out side and I have had problems both places.

The strange thing is I may not have any problems for a day or so or it could even be months before it starts acting up again.

This is an old car, but still runs great and is not full of rust. I would love to find an affordable solution to keep it on the road. Thanks

JEREMIAH

Seems like an elcetrical problem. Without checking the car and based on your description a would assume that it has a bad ground. Check the ground wires under the hood, clean and spray with battery cleaner/protector.

TONYM49ERS
  • 1994 ACURA INTEGRA

I have an Ls five speed manual. Recently, it failed to start after I got out of class. The battery was still good, all the lights came on as usual. I had not idea why the engine did not turn on. I tried to jump start it. Cable and manually pushing it up and down the parking lot. No luck. Ended up towing it the next day to my in laws. Next day I tore the alternator apart to check if that was the problem. Seems like the alternator was still working because I tested it out on the car battery with wires. It spun as usual. Checked the spark plugs. Looks okay, checked all the wires from the alternator to the ignition with a gauge they all have continuity and nothing seems to have came off or broke. Checked all the fuses. Nothing wrong. Checked the relay switch took it off. Connected a wire instead (almost like hot wiring it) and turned the key and voila the car came to life again. The car will only start with the wire in place. I do not even have to press on the clutch to turn it on which is weird. I have no clue as why that is happening.I am stumped. I bought a new relay switch, but it still did not solve the problem. I have asked around and no one seems to know what is wrong, some say wire problems, or clutch solenoid malfunction.I have no idea, once the wire is in place and the engine comes on it runs like normal even when I take the wire off, but without the wire in the relay switch's place, the car will not start.

Tuesday, January 24th, 2017 AT 9:08 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371

What relay switch? Where is it?

TONYM49ERS

It is the one below the steering wheel. I have added a picture of what I need to do in order to start it.

+1
ASEMASTER6371

It looks like the main relay.

GRANTFITZ21@GMAIL.COM
  • 1994 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder front wheel drive automatic 153,000 miles

One day, I went out to my car in the morning and it just would not start. I had it towed to a dealership and they told me it was the distributor and it would cost me roughly $350. I decided to purchase the distributor by myself and install it on my car. After installation, I tested each spark plug to make sure I was getting spark, which I was. So I figured my problem was not the spark anymore. I also smelled gas when the car was turning over, but figured I'd check the fuel rail for gas anyways. So I took the fuel rail off and removed the injectors. Sure enough, gas spilled out of it. What could be the problem if the engine turns over, I found gas in the fuel rail, and I have spark? I looked for a picture of the firing order for my distributor and am pretty sure I have the right one. Please help!

MASTERTECHTIM

Spark plugs fouled? Distributor not in right? Did you check compression?