1998 Acura CL overheats when A/C on

CARRISSA
  • 1998 ACURA CL
Engine Cooling problem
1998 Acura CL 4 cyl Automatic

I would like to know why my car overheats when a/c is on. I have had radiator replaced last year.
Monday, June 30th, 2008 AT 9:49 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

I would first be checking that the cooling fans are coming on, and then the thermostat is ok, start there.

Tuesday, July 1st, 2008 AT 6:12 AM
EXTECH
Does the overheat occur only when in traffic with slow speeds, or does it also overheat on the highway?

Has the temp ever been elevated without the A/C on?

Keep in mind shedding the heat the A/C system collects can overwhelm a cooling system which may be compromised, and not working to it's fullest capability. This should not be the case however at highway speeds; the ram air on the condenser and radiator should be more than enough cooling.

C
+1
Thursday, July 3rd, 2008 AT 6:47 PM
MHPAUTOS
Can you re send that last post.

Mark
+1
Friday, December 18th, 2009 AT 7:47 AM
ZAOPC22
Well, get a kitchen thermometer an when the gauge shows overheating pull over open your hood and feel how hot the engine is and put the thermometer on the engine somewhere and check it should be less than boiling temp which is 212 degrees and look to make sure your fans are on and look at the coolant resivor is it over flowing or nothing in there? If there isn't any coolant then there might be a leak or if the coolant is spilling over you might have too much for the system and its boiling which means the mix isn't right or stuck thermostat. Check: Thermostat, hoses, rad. Cap, radiator, electric fans, coolant mixture Check all those things out before you do a water pump job. Thanks David Newton if that helped please donate $5.00
Wednesday, December 30th, 2009 AT 11:11 PM