Accessing wiring from CAB to back of truck to have switch in CAB

HOPINGFORANSWER
  • 1998 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I am trying to add a switch in the cab to turn on and off a third party item like a camera. We do not want it on the backup light circuit. I can connect it to the headlights, but then the camera would be on when we do not need it, but need the headlights, like when it is raining. I would like to know if I can use an empty plug on the convenience center to access wiring at the back of the box or if I need to run wires from the cab to the box. My hubby is opposed to running the wires, I will do so if that is the only way together a switch into the line. Thanks
Monday, May 27th, 2013 AT 8:47 AM

Underhood there is a stud on fuse box, run a fuse to that followed by a relay, run one wire from relay to ground, one to a switch inside truck an d one to camera on back. That way everything is protected. It will work all the time however as long as switch is on so make sure it's off when not in use when truck is off otherwise the batter will run down.
Tuesday, May 28th, 2013 AT 7:14 AM
HOPINGFORANSWER
Thanks for your response and the diagram. I was going to run wires from inside the cab fuse box and use one of the empty fuse slots. However, as I mentioned, my hubby did not want me running a line to the back of the truck if there was an un-utilized cable already running between the two. I found out that there may be a secondary set of wires wrapped up near the fuse box in the engine, which I am going to try and see if they are present in our truck. I am also trying to find out what all of the empty slots in the convenience center are for. If I cannot find more info on these two things, then I will wire the camera and monitor to the fuse box inside the cab so they power up by the same switch and are protected by a fuse. I am going to see if I can match the cargo switch and put the switch in the blank bezel above the cargo switch. I might even tap the 12 volts from the cargo switch and run the other side of the new switch back to the camera and monitor. Still researching the best and easiest solution. Thanks again for the input.
Tuesday, May 28th, 2013 AT 8:40 AM
See if F2 in convenience center has power with switch on.
Tuesday, May 28th, 2013 AT 8:45 AM
HOPINGFORANSWER
Fuse 2 is hot all the time, but it appears it is associated to the stop lamp relay, which I assume means I could get my 12 volts between the fuse and the relay. However, the cargo lamp switch goes to fuse 3 which is also live all the time and the cargo lamp switch is close to where I want the new switch. Fuse 3 is a 20 amp fuse - orange wire - the current draw by the monitor and camera should not be too much so the 20 amp fuse should be okay. So, I am going to junction off between the fuse and the cargo lamp switch and put the camera switch there. I will run the other side of the switch to the positive of the monitor and the line going to the back of the truck to connect the positive lead of the camera to. The blacks (negatives) I will connect to grounds. Hubby will have to put up with my running a wire to the back, I will just have to do it when he is not there! There is a hole already through the fire wall for the remote starter, so I will not need to drill anything. I will use a switch that lights up to remind him the camera is drawing power. Thanks again for responding to my question, I was trying to follow hubby's wishes regarding not running a wire but it appears to not be possible.
Tuesday, May 28th, 2013 AT 5:36 PM
You have to run a wire inorder for the cameral to work. Just make sure to put the relay in to operateit so all the power doesn't go through the switch. Run the wire along the harness an duse tape or zip ties to hold it against harnsess should be no problem also hooking up camera try to solder coneetions and use shrink tube to keep it waterproof.
Wednesday, May 29th, 2013 AT 6:32 AM