ABS light, Service Engine Soon light and code P0455

TUBBS
  • 1999 FORD E-SERIES VAN
  • RWD
Hello, My Van has developed a few issues. It is a 1999 Ford E-150 Econoline, automatic transmission, RWD, V8 4.6L Engine with 95280 miles on her.

My son noticed that the 'ABS' light comes on when he drives her on the tollway. Average speed 75mph. Light comes on after 10 minutes or more of sustained high speed. (I drive it local and never get up to more than 50mph, so have not seen this happen) The light is constant, no blinking. I took it to my mechanic and he could find nothing wrong. Now, a week later, the 'ABS' came on again while my son was driving on the tollway, which was Thursday. Friday the 'Service Engine Soon' light come on and has stayed on. Actually, from the moment you start her until you shut her off, that light is on. I have an Actron code reader and it read P0455. I checked the gas cap and, after 15 years, it isn't as snug as it could be, but I don't know if this is the problem.

Are these two lights possibly related? What kind of problem might I have?

I put this question under Brakes because the P-code is emissions and there is no heading for that.
Monday, August 18th, 2014 AT 8:26 AM

For the abs a pro will h ave to use his scanner to read it. It may be intermittent so harder to find. Check items in pic
Monday, August 18th, 2014 AT 8:30 AM
TUBBS
** A note for those using code readers: Mine did nothing, no display, no nothing when I first plugged it in. After researching on the internet, I found that if your cigarette lighter fuse is blown, the reader won't work. It is powered by that fuse! ** Just thought I would pass that on as it wasn't in the user manual for the reader.

Thanks for the info. As I stated, my mechanic did look at it and couldn't find a problem (ABS). Will replace the gas cap as a starting place and see if it is as simple as that. So, the ABS is about the anti lock brakes and the Service Engine light can be anything? I have the code reader. Only got the one code.
Monday, August 18th, 2014 AT 1:03 PM
Because this can be a leak in evap system a gas cap probably won't fix it. It really should be smoke tested to see if there is a leak as that can be one of the problems which if you click on pic it tells you possible causes. Your code reader will not read abs codes only a pro scanner can do that.
Monday, August 18th, 2014 AT 3:29 PM
TUBBS

Gotcha, I will call my mechanic and get it in for a look.

A-Ha, Pro Scanner. I see now why we haven't gotten any codes on the ABS.

Thanks for the answers and advise.
Monday, August 18th, 2014 AT 6:43 PM

Related Check Engine Light Content