Overheating at idle

TAILUR061005
  • 1998 DODGE DURANGO
So I started with it over heating when it was running. Replaced water pump thermostat/housing. Fixed it for a couple days then started again. Flushed heater core fixed the overheating while driving, but now it is still overheating while idling. There is a leak but I can't tell where it is coming from. There is coolant everywhere! Even around wheel well on passenger side.
Friday, September 6th, 2019 AT 10:46 AM

DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

First thing you need to do is find the leak. If you don't have access to a coolant pressure tester most local auto parts have a tool loaner program and will rent you one. Here is a tutorial showing what is involved:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/radiator-pressure-test

Basically it pressurizes the cooling system with the engine off and forces the coolant from where it's leaking. Let me know if you have any further questions on this.Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.

Danny-
Friday, September 6th, 2019 AT 6:01 PM