Will not stay running

702DON
  • 1987 TOYOTA COROLLA
Car listed above is the deluxe model. It starts then shuts off. I just got this from a neighbor, it sat at his garage for 6 months (maybe more). I change fuel pump, fuel filter and installed brand new battery. But still won’t keep idle. This is the carburetor model, not EFI.
I added 2 gallons of fresh gas as it was almost empty. I’m thinking of changing spark plugs and perhaps clean the carburetor, my first time to have this kinda car but I’ve worked on Other model cars before. So not a total novice. Please help. Thank you in advance.
Monday, December 2nd, 2019 AT 10:39 PM

AL514
Hello, most likely because of sitting so long, the jets in the carburetor are clogged up, they might flow enough at higher rpm but not at idle. Another possibility is a vacuum leak. Sitting along time is the worst for cars. But try changing the plugs and clean the carburetor. That's a great place to start with this issue.
Tuesday, December 3rd, 2019 AT 4:52 AM