2013 Honda Civic Intake

ALEXVRGS958
  • 2013 HONDA CIVIC
I want to add a cold intake to my car. Is it a good idea for an automatic car. I heard that it will spend less gas and will make it a little faster
Friday, May 8th, 2015 AT 12:35 AM

Really? You're expecting to get something for nothing. Liquid gasoline does not burn. It has to be a vapor to burn. The goal of all intake systems is to warm the air to promote better fuel atomization. That's why many engines had exhaust passages running under their carburetors to keep the air warm, and they had "heat stoves" that warmed the incoming air to prevent carburetor icing in cold weather. If you defeat anything that helps warm the air, you'll have to dump lots of extra fuel into the intake in hopes a high enough percentage will vaporize in time to burn and make power. That was the purpose of the choke. A lot of unburned gas went out the tail pipe, wasted, without making any power. You can't increase horsepower or fuel mileage if you're running unburned fuel through the engine. Where it WILL burn is inside the expensive catalytic converter which will overheat and be damaged.

The thinking is colder air is more condensed so more of it can be packed into the cylinders. While that may be true to a very tiny amount, you have to add fuel to go with that air. The rest of us do that by pressing the accelerator pedal a little further. Where there are some real benefits is at wide-open-throttle, as in on the race track. How often do you expect to drive at wide-open-throttle? Intercoolers are also used with diesel truck engines that use turbochargers. That's because turbos squeeze the air and therefore raise the air temperature a lot. Cooling the air, among other things, cools the intake valves.

Automotive marketing is extremely competitive. If a manufacturer thought they could sell more vehicles by using a cold air system, or heaven forbid, altering ride height, you can be sure they would do it. They know it can't be done while maintaining fuel mileage, performance, emissions, and handling and braking. A lot of research and development went into designing all parts of your car to make everything work properly and provide good performance. It's not realistic to think you are going to improve on that without sacrificing something else.
Friday, May 8th, 2015 AT 1:21 AM