2012 Ford Escape Fan blower resistor block

PEDEVILLE
  • 2012 FORD ESCAPE
  • AWD
Where is the fan motor blower resistor block on my model vehicle, I looked in the vent areas of the dash
Tuesday, September 15th, 2015 AT 9:53 AM

Do you have manual or automatic heater controls? If you have manual controls, look for a four-wire connector plugged into an assembly held in with four screws. If you have an automatic, computer-controlled heater system, Ford's engineers have gone insane with inappropriate use of technology and you will have a computer module that controls fan speed through pulse-width modulation. As with a lot of this delicate electronics, the perceived "convenience" is far over-shadowed by the uncommonly high cost of diagnosis and repair. I hope you have the simpler system.
Tuesday, September 15th, 2015 AT 6:03 PM
PEDEVILLE
But where location wise do I look for this four wire harness specifically?
Tuesday, September 15th, 2015 AT 6:31 PM
Sorry that I overlooked that. It's top secret and I can't tell you! Actually, I don't know exactly where it is, but the heat sink on it has to be air-cooled by the air getting blown through the heater box. You're going to find this assembly on the top or side of the heater box under the right side of the dash. It is bolted on where you can get to it to replace it, but on some cars that is done by removing the glove box.

If you have a computer-controlled system, you typically won't have a resistor assembly. With a resistor assembly, you're going to have three or four fan speed choices. If you can vary the fan speed anywhere between low and high by turning a dial or pressing "up" and "down" buttons, that has a computer involved that uses pulse-width modulation. No resistor is used with that system. This is what I was referring to where you get the convenience of the variable speed fan at the cost of a huge repair bill.
+1
Tuesday, September 15th, 2015 AT 7:54 PM