2011 Buick Regal melting light socket

DGPROZZO
  • 2011 BUICK REGAL
About 3 months ago what I thought was a burned out left front low-beam bulb turned out to be a bad socket. The half of the socket was melted and crumbly. Bulb was good; have had no blown fuses. I spliced a new socket in place (solder and shrink wrap). Yesterday the beam went out again. When I checked it out I found that the insulation on the two wires had melted next to the socket and there was a short. Pulled the two wires apart and the bulb came on. When I removed the bulb I found that the inside of the socket was starting to melt again. Just finished replacing the socket for the second time, and the bulb (H1155) too.

Have not had any problems with the bulb on the passenger's side of the car.

Any ideas why this is happening? For what it is worth, I placed a multimeter between the neg battery and the contacts in the socket, got 0.26 volts on one side, 0 on the other. There is a plastic cover on the back of the headlight assembly; I left it off for now, thinking it may be contributing to excess heat buildup.
Thursday, September 4th, 2014 AT 5:51 PM

Hi:

You only got 0.26v from the light socket? That wouldn't even light the bulb. Please recheck it and check it both with the engine off and the engine running. Also, are the OEM type bulbs you have in the vehicle?
Thursday, September 4th, 2014 AT 6:03 PM
DGPROZZO
Using the bulbs that the guys at OReilly's looked up and said to use. H1155. Eiko brand. The voltage is with the engine off. Did this because someone (another customer) said that I might have a "bad ground" and said to check this. I'll check it with the engine running when I have a chance, and reply back.
Thursday, September 4th, 2014 AT 8:44 PM
Let me know. If I'm correct, that is a bulb that shins blue, correct? You may want to try using a standard H11 bulbs. Also, if one of the bulbs isn't making good contact, it could be arcing in the plug causing heat to build up. You should also try using dielectric grease in the contacts to see if that helps. Also, make sure the pins on the light are making good contact.
Friday, September 5th, 2014 AT 8:12 PM
DGPROZZO
Not a blue bulb. Just a standard OEM type. The Eiko H11 is 55W, 13.2V.

I checked the voltage with the lights switched on, measured 12.4V.

Re: the connection. I just pushed the bulb into the socked until the tab snapped into place.
Friday, September 12th, 2014 AT 3:09 AM
BRAD_JENNINGS
Was this problem ever resolved? Sorry, I know this is an old post, but I'm having the same problem on the passenger side of my 2011 Regal. The insulation on the wires at the socket is even burnt off in mine. Dealership said that I would need to change the headlamp assembly. I just found a used one on eBay last night and ordered. I would really like to know what causes this though, to ensure I don't have the same problem again.
Friday, November 18th, 2016 AT 7:53 AM
DGPROZZO
Dealer told me the same thing. Ended up buying a plug at an auto parts store, cut off the old one, then soldered the new one in place. Used shrink wrap to insulate the solder joint. Not easy, not a lot of room and not a lot of wire to work with on the vehicle side. Don't know if this was a permanent fix, ie was there some underlying problem that will cause the new socket to overheat, because we have traded the car.
Friday, November 18th, 2016 AT 8:07 PM