We put diesel instead of gas into the car and drive it for about two and half miles.

ATUL RAWAL
  • 2010 TOYOTA COROLLA
How much does it cost to fix, if I have accidentally put diesel fuel instead of regular gasoline in my car? And drive it for about 2 and half miles.
Monday, September 12th, 2011 AT 12:02 PM

KHLOW2008
I have drained quite a number of fuel tanks with such problem and after refilling with gas, there don't seem to be any other after effects. The labor cost for draining the fuel tank should not cost you too much.

Engine might run rough for a while untill the diesel in system clears out.
-1
Monday, September 12th, 2011 AT 12:10 PM
ATUL RAWAL
The repair shop said they're looking at about $1000 worth of repair! They said we might need to change the fuel injectors as they might already be damaged. Is that even possible?
-1
Monday, September 12th, 2011 AT 12:16 PM
KHLOW2008
Just tell them to drain the fuel tank and refill the gas tank. Remove the fuel rail fuel supply hose and put into a container. Crank the engine for a few seconds to purge the system. Reinstall the hose and start engine. That is all you need to do.

I have yet to see any injectors being damaged by diesel.
+4
Monday, September 12th, 2011 AT 12:37 PM
DUELMASTERASE
KHLow is right, diesel does not effect any components in a gasoline fuel system, now on the otherhand if you put gasoline in a diesel fuel system then you would do a ton a damage, diesel fuel has lubricant properties neither a huei injector or a injector pump can handle gasoline. Do you trust your mechanic? He should know this, I've been on both ends of a wrong fuel situation, flush the diesel out, worst case senario you may have to spray carb cleaner into throttlebody while engine is being cranked to assist combustion
+1
Monday, September 12th, 2011 AT 1:25 PM
MHPAUTOS
Fit a new fuel filter as well, and as the others have said, all should be ok.
Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 12:17 PM