2009 Pontiac G6 Door Problem

TIMDEBJT3
  • 2009 PONTIAC G6
The front drivers door on my 2009 G6 will not open. Both the inside and outside handles appear to work. I can hear a faint click at the latch when I pull either the inside or outside handle, but the latch does not open and the door remains closed. I took the inside door handle off the door. The cable is tight and appears as though it is attached at the far end.

From what I can see, I don't believe I can remove the door panels with the door closed. I don't believe I can remove the plastic connector that goes in the end and will be very difficult to pop the clips along the bottom of the door.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tuesday, September 17th, 2013 AT 7:56 PM

MADMIKE1735
Usually the door acuating rods wont pop out unless disturbed. Did u recently lock your keys in the car, so a tow truck driver was called? Usually they are in a rush. And are very rough while slim jimming a door. As far as getting inside panel off while door is inop? Its doable. But not without damage to the panel. Usually the seat will need to be removed, and it still makes it difficult. You described you have access to the cable. If you pull on it with pliers, does it move freely, or with some resistance? If there is resistance, chances are its still hooked up. Now determine if its the door handle, or door lock.
-1
Tuesday, September 17th, 2013 AT 8:19 PM
TIMDEBJT3
As far as I know there has been no tow truck or lock problem. I recently purchased the car, so I don't have a long history. It has worked flawlessly up to this point. I got in the car and when I went to get out, nothing happens.

The cable to the inside lock has resistance. I removed the torx screw and pulled the handle out and removed the connector. When the cable is pulled, by the handle it is tight. I tried to pull/pry on it to see if it wasn't quite long enough. It does not move. It appears to be attached at the far end. I hear what appears to motion and something hitting against a stop at the latch when I pull that cable or when I pull the handle on the outside. It is faint.

Thanks for your help.
-1
Tuesday, September 17th, 2013 AT 8:33 PM
MADMIKE1735
Does your driver door still have a key entry on the outside? You may try using the key to unlock the door while you fidget with the cables. Enough patience im sure you can get this open. However, once its open, its the start of an entirely new battle. Removing door panel, and diaging what failed, then replacing.
Tuesday, September 17th, 2013 AT 8:43 PM
TIMDEBJT3
It has a key. I tried unlocking while working the cable to the inside lock.

The cable moves with absolutely no resistance, then it stops. Any suggestions on how to remove the inside door panel when I can't open the door?

Thanks.
Wednesday, September 18th, 2013 AT 7:49 PM
MADMIKE1735
You may need to remove the driver seat. Once its out, the door panel will be way easier to access. Seat should be held on with 4 fasteners. Pretty simple to remove. Make sure you unplug any electrical connectors before pulling it out.
-1
Thursday, September 19th, 2013 AT 2:06 PM
TIMDEBJT3
I got lucky. It got hot here today (low 90s). It worked and opened. I cleaned the latch up good and lubricated it. Hopefully it continues to work. Thanks for all your advice.
Thursday, September 19th, 2013 AT 6:39 PM
MADMIKE1735
Thats awesome! Such a rare occurance its something simple. Keep it lubricated, hopefully this problem never occurs again. Keep me updated if it happens again.
Friday, September 20th, 2013 AT 6:15 PM