I AM HAVING TROUBLE WHEN STARTING MY CX7

• RMK1981
  • 2009 Mazda CX7

I am having trouble when starting my CX7. It starts, but it is sluggish sometimes. I took it to the dealer service department and they had it about 48 hours and couldn't get it to do it. Ran diagnostics and said it wasn't the starter, battery, or alternator. Couldn't find anything and have the car back. It then started fine a couple times and now is sluggish again. The problem seems to happen after I have driven and then it sits a few hours. I'm at a loss and don't want to have to wait for it to leave me stranded somewhere before I find out what's going on. Thanks!

Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 AT 10:35 AM

• mhpautos

So is it a slow crank speed and hard to start? Bit like a battery going flat?

Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 AT 11:42 AM
  • RMK1981

It's not the battery. It was replaced in November and then again last week because that's what the mechanic first thought.

Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 AT 2:05 PM
  • RMK1981

But yes, to answer your question. It acts like a battery going flat. But then the battery tests fine.

Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 AT 10:24 PM
  • mhpautos

Slow cranking can be polling starter motor, poor earth, low starter cranking voltage, high resistance across the solenoid contacts, have these been checked as yet?

Sunday, February 24th, 2013 AT 8:48 AM
  • RMK1981

To my knowledge none of that was checked. I will call Monday and ask them to tell me everything that they checked. Thank you.

Sunday, February 24th, 2013 AT 1:38 PM
  • RMK1981

I called the service department and they did the following: checked battery; checked alternator; checked starter; tested charging system; checked for error codes; and made sure the terminals were tight.

I've also noticed that it only has a slow start after I've driven for about an hour. It's fine around town.

Tuesday, February 26th, 2013 AT 5:46 PM