2009 Honda Civic

CJOHNSON11
  • 2009 HONDA CIVIC
  • AWD
My 2009 Honda Civic is running sluggish, transmission has already been flushed and it hasn't improved. What might be wrong and how much will it cost me, took it to the dealer and it was out of their hands (transmission work)
Wednesday, April 19th, 2017 AT 11:27 AM

Running problems are an engine problem, not a transmission problem. Even if there is a problem in the transmission, a flush isn't going to fix a mechanical problem. Transmission flushes rarely solve a problem. They are done for preventive maintenance on cars that have a history of developing transmission problems.

We don't get involved with costs here because there's way too many variables. You don't even know what is wrong yet or what is needed.

I've never heard of a new-car dealer that couldn't handle transmission repairs on the brand of cars they sell. They have specialists who receive regular factory-sponsored training and updates as a requirement for having the franchise. They have access to service bulletins and a hot line for help diagnosing elusive problems. The dealer is the top step when no one else can solve a problem, but their remedy could simply be to install a rebuilt transmission.

Independent specialty transmission shops eventually get the same service bulletins, and they are not bound by the limitations manufacturers put on their dealers' service departments. The aftermarket parts suppliers are real good at developing repair parts that are improved to solve recurring and common problems. The dealers are often not allowed to use those improved parts unless they're approved by the car manufacturer. The people at the dealership my elect to send you to a transmission shop when they know that shop has more to offer you when it comes to a lasting solution or a better value.
Thursday, April 20th, 2017 AT 4:10 PM