HAD CODES FOR ALL 6 CYLINDERS MISFIRING=

• angeloiacono
  • 2008 Toyota Sienna

2008 Toyota Sienna - garage could not get it to repeat and said it was water in the fuel line.

My wife was driving her 2008 Toyota Sienna down the highway yesterday. She was about 40 minutes into the trip, when the Check Engine light started to flash, about 20 seconds later, the VSC light went on and the car was shaking uncontrollably. She pulled off and I went to check the car. I started it and took it to a local garage. They pulled the codes and said that it had all 6 cylinders misfire and it had overheated.

The shop tried all day to recreate the issue and it never did. I drove it back from the shop (Another hour or so with traffic with no issues). Can anyone explain what that issue is and how I can avoid issues with this in the future. The garage said it may have been "Water in the fuel line" but I want to be sure. Thank you.

Tuesday, August 7th, 2012 AT 8:08 PM

• saturntech9

I have never seen water in the fuel to cause over heating.I have seen missfires engine justs dies and wont start etc but not overheating. Why did they say it overheated?

Tuesday, August 7th, 2012 AT 8:13 PM
  • angeloiacono

He gave no reason for the overheat and said it may have been an old code, as I have never seen it overheat. My main concern is the misfiring cylinders and the lack of "cause", as my wife tends to take long trips alone and I bought this van because of reliability.

Tuesday, August 7th, 2012 AT 8:18 PM
  • saturntech9

Those wouldnt be old codes because when the check engine light flashes that means there is a major missfire that can damage the cat. So is there a list of the codes it had the exact code numbers not code descriptions?So it hasnt happened since?Also how many miles ago did it happen?It wouldnt hurt to get a good fuel drier and add that to the tank.I have seen water in the gas cause very phatom running issues.

Tuesday, August 7th, 2012 AT 9:12 PM
  • angeloiacono

It was likely 60 miles ago. And not has not happened again and hopefully never again. The mechanic did say when he was inspecting the engine at first that, I believe it was an ignition wire was "loose" and he pushed it down so it had a better connection, could this have caused the 6 cylinder misfire?

Tuesday, August 7th, 2012 AT 10:04 PM
  • saturntech9

That has one coil for each spark plug with a connector going to it. So I dont see how one could set codes for every cylinder missfiring.I would get some good fuel drier I recommend the bg products brand I have used it in the past. It works very good you can find it on ebay or call around to shops and see if they carry bg products. Iam not sure what happened I wasnt there to see it after it happened see the actual codes etc. So did it act up for the people that looked at the car?

Tuesday, August 7th, 2012 AT 10:28 PM
  • angeloiacono

It never acted up again for the people who tried identifying the issue, the codes were P0300 P0301 P0302 P0303 P0304 P0305 P0306, I don't have the overheat code.

Tuesday, August 7th, 2012 AT 11:27 PM
  • saturntech9

I would try the fuel drier fuel would effect all the cylinders and could be very sparatic.

Wednesday, August 8th, 2012 AT 3:26 AM
  • 2008sienna

My wife just had the same problem with her 2008Sienna. Filled tank with gas and drove it 60 miles on highway and had identical situation. She had it towed to a Toyota dealer in Superior who said all codes showed misfire but they could not replicate problem. His guess was bad gas. Have now driven it another 50+ miles and no problem. Is this a common sienna problem? Is it safe to drive?

Saturday, August 17th, 2013 AT 11:49 AM
  • saturntech9

Any car can get water in the fuel or a bad tank of gas which from the symptoms sounds like that's what happened.

Saturday, August 17th, 2013 AT 1:26 PM
  • Dragginzfly

When all cylinders misfire. It the air mass sensor that doesn' t detect air coming in the engine cause misfire. Not enuff oxygen. It doesn' t happen at all like that. Give a try to replace air filter, pcv valve need to be replaced and air mass sensor replaced and use obd2 scanner to erase code and see what happen. It wouldn' t come back on

Sunday, February 28th, 2016 AT 3:13 PM