Replacement tires

RDIBBA
  • 2008 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER
  • AWD

I have 08 Toyota Highlander Hybrid with OEM tires 245/55/19. I need new ones but there aren't a lot of good choices readily available in this size. The couple that are available aren't rated very highly especially in handling in snow and ice which we get several times over winter. Would it hurt my car to get 255/50/19 Michelins which are highly rated or would it potentially be a problem to use a difference size than the OEM?

Secondly, there is a new tire just released, the Nitto Crosstek, that is made for my size car. (Impressive advertising, see nittocrosstek. Com). However, since it is new there are no reviews available on its performance. Also, Nitto is owned by Toyo and the Toyo's aren't rated very highly, so maybe it would not be that good to take a chance on. They are pricey.
There are also some Falkens and Hankook

Thursday, January 6th, 2011 AT 5:44 PM

DR. HAGERTY

Look at the Tire Rack site, they usually have some input as to what will work best. Ratings can be subjective, sometimes its good and sometimes not.

Thursday, January 6th, 2011 AT 6:01 PM