Nissan Maxima 2008

KMILLER
  • 2008 NISSAN MAXIMA
Nissan maxima wheel radio control doesn't work
Saturday, January 22nd, 2011 AT 3:48 AM

DRCRANKNWRENCH
Let me know a few things and I will see if I can help out.

Do you still have the stock stereo?

Do the others turn will functions work, odometer, trip meter, etc.

Have the disconnected and reconnected the battery, prior to the happening?

Does the stereo function properly otherwise?

Are there any other changes such as the car being serviced or other symptoms that you can think of that happened around the same time as the controls stopped working?

I'll keep an eye on this post for a reply me get back to you ASAP.
+1
Saturday, January 22nd, 2011 AT 5:21 AM
KMILLER
- Yes I still have the stock stero
- Yes the other functions work.
- I know that I had to get a new battery but I don't recall if this functions stopped working before our after I changed it.
- Yes, the stereo works perfect.
- I cannot think of any other changes or other symptoms at the time the controls stopped working.
+2
Tuesday, January 25th, 2011 AT 3:39 AM
DRCRANKNWRENCH
Since you are still in warranty I would take it to the dealer.
You might need them to, Flash Program, a PCU. That is short for electronic sub control/sensor unit. If warranty does not cover it, you will at least have a diagnosis from them that you will be able to take care of.
Let me know how it goes.
+1
Tuesday, January 25th, 2011 AT 11:40 PM
DRCRANKNWRENCH
Just another thought, did you have the barrier replaced by dealership? Factory batteries are made a last for the entire warranty period. So, that's something to take in consideration as well. I hope this helps and I'll be watching this post for your reply.
+1
Wednesday, January 26th, 2011 AT 1:09 AM
DRCRANKNWRENCH
Correction;
Meant to say battery, not barrier
+1
Thursday, January 27th, 2011 AT 11:28 PM
GMTECH
The other option could be that the radio control switch in the steering wheel si defective or the wiring though the column. Dealer is the best option.
+1
Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011 AT 4:29 AM
DRCRANKNWRENCH
Yes, the control in the steering wheel can affect the speedometer. Nissan wires the controls for all the steering wheel buttons through the radio. That is why I asked about the radio and if it was stock. I agree with gmtech that you should take it to a dealership. I just realized you are out of warranty. It is 3 years and 36,000 miles, correct? It is still best to take it to a dealer as the Nissan controls are complicated and you don't want to have someone who is not familiar with the car tamper with it and mess up the airbag.

Let me know how it goes.
+1
Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011 AT 9:43 AM
KMILLER
Thanks for your diagnostic. I took it to the dealer. They said a switch went out and I'll have to change out the whole radio unit. So I do now know what is wrong.
+1
Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 2:46 PM
DRCRANKNWRENCH
That is great that the source of the problem has been found. It is very nice of you to thank us for working with you. A lot of people don't thank us and even though, "No news is good news.", It is a good feeling to get a thank you for our work.

Now I am concerned about whether warranty will cover it or not. I am assuming that your warranty ran out at 36,000 miles, is that correct?

Have you ever complained about this issue within the warranty period? If so, you ca use that to get the problem fixed under retroactive warranty.

Also, go to the service manager at the Nissan dealer and ask to see all the recalls and ALL THE SERVICE BULLETINS. Service bulletins are essentially a recall that manufacturers are not required by law to fix because it is not a safety issue. Nissan and most manufacturers put out service bulletins to help the mechanics at the dealership diagnose vehicles. They also are distributed to the production line. So, the problem is taken care of at the factory. Because of this, service bulletins are effective for a certain VIN number lot. So, if your VIN falls within that list of VIN numbers, you have something to back you to get the issue fixed for free. Unfortunately, this is somewhat a subjective issue and the decision is usually up to the dealership. If you can go to another dealership to see if they will fix it for free, do so as I am guessing it is an expensive repair.

I had an S-10 that made a knocking noise and I complained about it within the warranty period, but there was not a bulletin out until almost a year after my warranty was over. I found out about the bulletin when I had a dealership fix some bodywork. They turned me down even though there was a bulletin and I had repair orders documenting the fact that I complained about it since I first got it. After going to 2 other dealers, I got my 65,000 mile motor replaced with a new factory crate motor.

You might consider an aftermarket stereo. However, none of the steering wheel functions will work unless you get a, "programmable remote control" for stereo control. I don't know if they give you all the steering wheel button functions.

Let me know if you need any help researching the issue or if you have any questions.

Take care,

Dr.C
+2
Saturday, February 5th, 2011 AT 9:58 PM