Starting & acceleration (power loss) problem

ADOYLE9116
  • 2008 FORD FUSION
Two days ago, my car started giving me problems when I try to start it. I have not had to get a jump. It will start eventually start if I hold the key in the turn position & pump the gas. Today, however, I could not get the car to accelerate once started. It glided slowly & felt like it might stall out, so I steered it to the side of the road. The wrench light is now on. It was not on previously. Please help! Thank you!
Wednesday, July 31st, 2013 AT 10:43 AM

It sounds like the throttle actuator has lost correlation due to coking. I would start by removing the negative battery cable and then following this guide.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/throttle-actuator-service

we should run the codes as well

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

Please run down this guide and report back
Thursday, August 1st, 2013 AT 6:17 AM
JAMIEJONES
So right! Thank you for this post I had this problem had to clean the throttle bore works great now, it had a high idle for a while but it relearned.
Tuesday, October 16th, 2018 AT 12:45 PM
JAMIEMCNAIR
  • 2008 FORD FUSION
Gas cap light is on. Engine is very sluggish, Transmission unexpected shifting. MPG poor. I checked the gas cap, it is on tight and secure. When driving for a while the enging fan comes on and stays on, like the engine is overheating. Please help me figure this out.
Tuesday, October 16th, 2018 AT 12:46 PM (Merged)
Have the fuel cap checked to confirm it is good. There could be an EVAP issue happening. As far as the trans, can you describe what is happening?
-2
TWALK
  • 2006 FORD FUSION
Loss of power and sputtering. Using more fuel and is hard to maintain speed.
AL514
How is the idle of the vehicle, just sitting still, will it stay running on its own or do you have to keep your foot on the gas pedal?

This guide can help:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-has-low-power-output
+1
AL514
Is the check engine light on? This car needs to have a fuel pressure test and the ignition system needs to be checked out and tested and also the ECM needs to be scanned for diagnostic codes. You may an ignition system problem (weak spark), could be a Ignition coil problem or sensor problem. But start with a quick scan of the ECM for codes, most autoparts stores will scan it for free if you just ask.
TWALK
The only code was p0141. O2 sen. Bank 1 sensor 2. No other codes. Engine idling good runs. Just loss of power an sputtering every now and then.
+1
AL514
Okay, well an oxygen sensor that is stuck completely lean will cause the ECM's fuel trim to increase fuel considerably because the ECM thinks the engine is starved for fuel, on a Volvo I have seen an O2 sensor to cause this same exact problem. The car would barely move because the O2 was stuck rich and the fuel trim was something like -100% so it was taking fuel away from the engine because it was seeing a full rich system and being fooled. Starving the car of fuel and miss firing every cylinder. You can actually check that O2 with a multi-meter if you have one. It is really not too difficult. The O2 sensor reads only 0.1 to 0.9 volts. So not even a full volt. 0.9 volts is full rich and the lower 0.1 volts is full lean reading. You may want to change that sensor and erase the codes and go for a good long ride, but it will take a little while for the ECM to relearn the new sensor.
DMOHOLEA
  • 2006 FORD FUSION
Hello and congratulations for your website its very nice and helpfull! My ford fusion has an ugly weird problem: everything works allright untill the engine gets hot, once it gets hot it looses power and I have to pull over wait 30 minutes to cool down then it works again. This started after I changed the battery when we did that the anti theft sistem turned on and didnt recognized the key.I took it to the ford specialists they got the key to work but after that everytime I pushed the break pedal the onboard computer was giving a beep and showed, engine failure, but that eventually went away. What do you think? Preety weird huh? Thankyou in advance!
WRENCHTECH
Have it scanned for any stored trouble codes and post the numbers here.
+1
TWALK
Loss of power and cuts out every now and then
TWALK
Would a p0141 code cause loss of power and sputtering
WRENCHTECH
That is a heater code so all it does is warm up the 0/2 sensor faster. No effect on a hot engine.
TWALK
Ok guess that mean move on to the plugs then
BWANA39
  • 2007 FORD FUSION
I changed the battery and when I put it back on, the car has the wrench and CEL on and it will not rev higher than idle (150 RPM)
S_DAVIS09
I'm having the exact same issue and was wondering if you had any luck?

I changed the battery and now the wrench has come on and mine will not rev past 500 RPm.
BWANA39
They said it was a dirty throttle body. But then again, I took it still not working exactly right home today. It appears the transaxle is shot.
2RWU7571
  • 2007 FORD FUSION
2.3 engine will not accelerate
ASEMASTER6371
Is the check engine light on?