Front end noise in Dodge Grand Caravan

TL1369
  • 2008 DODGE CARAVAN
My 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan has a noise coming from the front end. Here is what we know.
* IT starts at about 30mph
* The "pitch" of the noise goes up as we accelerate
* The noise does NOT change pitch when turning
* Checked the Wheel Bearing with a stethoscope & no noise in the bearings although right side shaft has a little play/movement
* There is no noticable vibration with the noise. Just your typical engine vibration.
* It is not tire noise. We had 2 new tires put on front, noticed noise, put those on back and 2 NEW ones on front. Noise did not change.
* Allignment has been completed with no change in the noise.
Thank you for your help. We have a 2500 mile trip planned for this weekend and need to be sure it's safe to drive or get it fixed by thursday.

It's a hum. Like a vibration noise but there is no feeling of vibration. Our initial thought was that it was road noise. You know when you go over a new road that's been laid but not sealed? It's that noise. Hope that helps.
Monday, April 23rd, 2012 AT 3:32 PM

This sounds like the final drive and differential carrier bearings have gone bad which is common with these noises. The transmission will need to be rebuilt to fix this problem.
-1
Monday, April 23rd, 2012 AT 4:53 PM
TL1369
Thank you for your help. Also, as we were investigating we were unable to locate the dipstick for the tranmission fluid. There is a tube that looks like a dipstick tube but it has a cap on it labeled "dealer use only" Is it possible for you to direct us where to find the transmission fluid dipstick? Thanks again.
-1
Monday, April 23rd, 2012 AT 6:20 PM
Uncap it and investigate -stick something in there and see if you have transmission fluid
Monday, April 23rd, 2012 AT 6:24 PM
TL1369
Ok, so we have had the transmission fluid checked and it is good. The sound heard with the stethoscope was coming from the shaft and not the wheel bearing. Do you know if there is a bearing or a bushing in the shaft of this vehicle? We've priced out the wheel bearing but my husband is hesitant because of where he heard the noise coming from. Could a bearing or bushing in the shaft cause this noise? Thank you again for your assistance. You provide an amazing service and your expertise is appreciated! I have recommended the site to MANY. :)
+2
Wednesday, April 25th, 2012 AT 1:22 AM
It could be the carrier bearing or its race. The noise will telescope through the CV axle and that is what you are hearing.

This is what a bad axle bearing looks like but yours are okay this is for others that visit the page.

Go to this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSsC-lWB1lg
+1
Wednesday, April 25th, 2012 AT 4:04 AM
CBUSMC
I am experiencing the exact same issue with my 2008 Grand Caravan with the exact same mileage. Did you ever discover the cause of this "road noise"? Your response would be appreciated.
+5
Monday, October 6th, 2014 AT 3:46 AM
KEN
Yes the problem has the carrier bearings in the transmission which failed causing the problem.

Please use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help. Please tell a friend.

Cheers, Ken
Friday, November 17th, 2017 AT 2:27 PM