Transmission locked up

BOBJOHNSON5678
  • 2008 CHEVROLET IMPALA
The wheels will not spin in neutral. The engine revs up but nothing moves. It is the Lt model. What are the possible problems? The car is currently at the dealership and I wanted to get an idea before I go get it worked on tomorrow. I also wanted to know the approximate cost on a potential repair.
Thursday, September 12th, 2013 AT 10:29 PM

It sounds like the final drive has broken which will mean a new transmission parts and labor should cost about $2,300.00 at the dealer and about $1,900.00 at an independent.

I would check the brake master though because it could be a brake issue locking the wheels up.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
+2
Thursday, September 12th, 2013 AT 11:24 PM
JEFFREYTHOMPSON
Thanks, I had this problem as well it was the transmission FYI.
Saturday, August 11th, 2018 AT 3:56 PM
HIDME
  • 2004 CHEVROLET IMPALA
The car suddenly has problem of switching to D and third. Revers and 1, 2 still work.
I would like to know if this need transmission rebuild or something major or just some kind of adjustment? How much will this cost me?

Saturday, August 11th, 2018 AT 3:56 PM (Merged)
HOMER1967
This would be impossible to diagnosis over the net. I would suggest that you take it to a transmission specialty shop and have it diagnosed with an estimate.
PADILLA805
  • 2004 CHEVROLET IMPALA
The shop that I took my car to estimated a total of $3,200.00 to rebuild the transmission that was failing for some time now. It seems to me a very costly repair since I just finished paying $3,800.00 to have my engine rebuilt- seems I bought a lemon. My question, is this the average cost for a rebuilt transmission for this type of car, $1,200.00 of the cost is the labor fee? I would not know if they are pulling my leg or are being honest on the cost of repairs. I have no other choice at this point but to make payments and get the transmission fixed. Is the cost average? If not, can I get assistance from the BBB towards this shop to lower the cost?
RENAUDTN
Hello there,

A rebuilt transmission on this model runs around $1,700.00 to $1,800.00 before tax and all, so the price you got seems right. As far as labor, it varies depending on the location, what kind of shop you take your car to (dealership are more expensive), etc so I cannot say for sure $1,200.00 is right or wrong for your area. Have you called around to find who has the best deal in your area? You can also look online to see if previous customers of this shop were happy with the work done. A lot of time an angry customer will go online to post his frustration against the shop if he feels he got ripped off or the job was not done right. You can call the BBB or go to their website and see if this shop is listed as a BBB member or not.
I am a little surprised your transmission is fried after only 89,000 miles though. GM transmissions have a five years/100,000 miles warranty. Have you ever got it serviced?
COXROBERTSR
  • 2003 CHEVROLET IMPALA
What is the average cost of having a transmission rebuilt for my car listed above?
Depending on where you go anywhere from $1,500.00 to $2,000.00.