Why wont the ignition turn when I go to start the car?

MELVINDOO92
  • 2008 CHEVROLET COBALT

This is the third or fourth time this has happened. The first few times the ignition locked up I played around with it for several minutes then it would pop lose. This time I have been messing with it for three and half hours and nothing. So far I have oiled the tumblers, turned the steering wheel back and fourth (which is now locked), and I made sure the car is in park. I'm about out of ideas so I was seeing if I could find some help online.

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 3:51 PM

FIXITMR

Pretty well known ISSUE. Most likely lock cylinder. Dealer may replace for no charge.

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 4:13 PM
MELVINDOO92

Is there any other thing that could be causing this.

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 4:21 PM
FIXITMR

Nothing EASY.

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 4:37 PM
MELVINDOO92

Nice
do you know where I can buy a lock cylinder.
Ive been lookin around online and it seems like these places never heard of a lock cylinder before

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 4:49 PM
SATURNTECH9

Just to add to this one a worn down key can cause your issue if its worn down try having a key cut from the vin number. If you have the key copied you will end up with a another worn out key. Also to find a cylinder if you dont want to get one from the dealer try www. Parts. Com

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 4:56 PM
MELVINDOO92

I talked to a guy from the dealership and he said it would be over 300 bucks for the lock cylinder and labor. So i'm going to do it myself, but first im going to try the new key. To get a key cut from the vin # I have to got through the dealership right? Or can I go to a locksmith?

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 5:19 PM
SATURNTECH9

Some of the of more up to date locksmiths can do that call around. Also I looked up your cylinder and they sell it at www. Parts. Com I dont know if it comes with tumblars most of the later model cylinders do. You would just have to code it to your key code. Make sure you get the key code for the ignition cylinder when you get your key cut. The tumblar closest to the key hole is position number 1.

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 5:49 PM
SATURNTECH9

Also you can try lightly tapping on the key hole opening with a hammer then try turning cylinder. If that doesnt work then try doing that with the new key if it still wont turn. Because if you cant turn the cylinder its going to make it much harder to replace the cylinder.

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 5:55 PM
MELVINDOO92

Thanks for the help I appreciate it.
Im sure ill have more questions in the future

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 5:56 PM
SATURNTECH9

Your welcome keep us posted on how it goes or if you have more questions.

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 6:00 PM
MELVINDOO92

I talked to another guy from the dealership and he said that the key should not be that worn down yet, with the car being only four years old but he seemed to be confused by his own words. I figured I would get your opinion as well as his. Also, I'm just going to order the lock cylinder just to be sure. What is the first step in getting the old one out? I'll probaly start the project tomorrow once the sun comes up.

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 10:12 PM
SATURNTECH9

I have seen cars only a couple of years old and the key is totally worn out. It all depends on how much you use the key. Also the first steps on changing the cylinder all depend on if you can turn it. Did you get a new key made yet?

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 10:19 PM
MELVINDOO92

No I haven't done that yet. Should I just do that to be sure?

Friday, February 3rd, 2012 AT 6:08 PM

JUST FOR GIGGLES

I HAVE A '95 NEON THAT THE KEY WILL NOT ROTATE BACK TO "LOCK", SO IT WILL COME OUT. HAPPENS OFTEN.I'M LAZY, ONLY GAVE $250 FOR IT. GOOD A/C AND 30 MPG! AS LONG AS I CAN GET THE KEY OUT, I WILL NOT PERFORM SURGERY!

THIS IS OUR SPARE "AUTOMATIC TRANNY" CAR, MAINLY FOR MY WIFE TO DRIVE.I WON'T LET HER DRIVE MY STANDARD TRANNY JEEPS. SHE SCARED ME SO BAD, THE TIME, I DID LET HER!

MY TRICK IS TO UNLOCK THE "TILT COLUMN" AND SORTA GENTLY BOUNCE IT UP AND DOWN A COUPLE OF TIMES, IT'LL THEN ROTATE BACK.

MY GUESS IS THERE IS LINKAGE INSIDE (PROBABLY TO THE SHIFTER, IN A ROUND ABOUT WAY) FOR THE "PARK LOCK FEATURE". IT JUST WILL NOT SLIDE FREELY INTO PLACE, LESS IT'S MOVED W/ THE TILT

MAYBE THIS WILL DO SOMETHING FOR YOU

Saturday, February 4th, 2012 AT 4:21 AM
SATURNTECH9

Yes I would have a fresh non copied key made and try that. Thats the first thing I try before changing a cylinder.

Saturday, February 4th, 2012 AT 6:16 AM
MELVINDOO92

I went on parts. Com to order the lock cylinder and as I went to order it I noticed that instead of listing the ignition lock cylinder it said mechanical catalog. I didn't know if I was ordering the part I need or a catalog of parts so I did not order yet. I wanted to know what I was ordering before I order it. Do any of you know if that website is authentic or b.S?

Wednesday, February 8th, 2012 AT 1:23 AM
SATURNTECH9

Yes that website is legit I have ordered from that website atleast 3 or 4 times and have always been happy with my purchases from there.

Wednesday, February 8th, 2012 AT 3:11 AM