2007 Volkswagen Polo braking

FAHMI
  • 2007 VOLKSWAGEN POLO
Hi
when I apply the brake to come to a halt, the pedal pulsates beneath my foot. Could you please advise what the problem possibilities could and how to fix it please. I also felt a little play on the wheel when I jacked the car up and wiggled the wheel (when holding the wheel in front and to the rear of the wheel). The was no play when I wiggled holding the top and bottom end of the wheel.
please advise on the way forward.
thanking you in advance
Fahmi
Wednesday, December 25th, 2013 AT 11:07 AM

You must be a pretty young driver. This is a very common problem caused by a warped brake rotor. It can happen on any car, but it occurs more commonly when the brakes are used a lot in city driving, and they get hot, and especially if you splash through a water puddle and they cool down quickly and unevenly. It is also somewhat common for a big chunk of the rotor to fall off due to rust, most commonly when the car has been sitting for a long time.

Most of the time a simple machining is needed to true up the rotors. It's customary to do both front rotors at the same time to maintain even braking. Your mechanic will perform a complete brake inspection to see if new front pads or rear shoes / pads are needed. If they are, a complete brake service includes machining the rotors. The exception is if they're worn down to the published legal limit, then they must be replaced.

A lot of shops won't even machine your rotors. They are made so thin to start with to save weight that with normal wear, one machining might make them too thin to legally put back on the car. Also, new replacement rotors are so inexpensive today that the cost of upkeep on the machinery to do the work is more expensive. VW parts are usually more expensive than all other car brands, but replacing rotors is still not a very expensive job. In the U.S, a new rotor for a domestic car costs about $15.00.
Wednesday, December 25th, 2013 AT 11:50 AM