2007 Suzuki XL7 Not Tuning Over

• 1 POST
  • 2007 SUZUKI XL7

My wife told me that her 2007 Suzuki XL7 kept "pulling" as she was driving, I got the chance to notice it a couple of times but nothing big (figured it just needed an oil change as it was coming soon). After the oil change, new spark plugs, and new air filter it was a smooth ride until a week later. As my family and I where driving home my wife told me that the SUV was non-responsive, all lights, electricity where working; even the A/C, I was confused to what she was telling me. After we pulled over to the side of the road she was telling me that she was pushing on the accelerator but the vehicle was doing nothing. After a free tow to my house (thanks to my insurance) I checked on the vehicle and noticed that the battery that was in the SUV was not the original one, so I asked my wife, she tells me that she had called a guy who says he was a mechanic and gave her that battery while he took the original to recharge. Well bought a new battery installed it but now the SUV tries to turn over but it doesn't, also ones you let go of the key, its as if the starter gets stuck for about a second. Not sure what it can be, I hear the fuel pump every time I turn the key, and when I check the fuel line near the engine thru a little tube that's near the engine, fuel is always in the line. Please help

Saturday, September 6th, 2014 AT 10:41 PM

All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.

Sunday, September 7th, 2014 AT 5:14 AM