Speedometer, Odometer and Trip not working

QUERQUECREW
  • 2007 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
The last couple of days my speedometer quit working. This morning I noticed that my trip and ODO numbers were not changing (these two are digital). I am taking the car to a mechanic later today to evaluate it; but, I was curious if it is something as simple as a fuse/loose cable, or if it is more likely an electical issue (cluster issue)? Thanks for the information!
Friday, December 2nd, 2011 AT 6:24 PM

Hello, It sounds like the vehicle speed sensor is out here is the location so you can change it out. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
+2
Friday, December 2nd, 2011 AT 6:33 PM
C17COWBOY
  • 2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
  • AWD
I've looked on many different websites and they all point to the VSS as the blame for the speedometer failure. At first, it wobbled up and down, then after a few days, just won't move. How do I get to the VSS and how do I replace it? Where can I go to get a replacement?
Thursday, January 17th, 2019 AT 8:05 PM (Merged)
HI5SANTAFE
I replaced my VSS cost me $67.00 for the sensor works great!
-1
GLENNEDWARD
  • 2003 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
The speedometer has stopped working. Told it could be a blown fuse. What fuse controls the speedometer? And what else could it be? I looked at both fuse boxes and could not determine which fuse is for the speedometer. Could you point me to the fuse?
Fuse 11, 19 and 22 in passenger compartment box under drivers side of dash. But have it scanned for codes your vehicle speed sensor may be bad

See images below for fuse block location
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
I drove through low level water and now my speedo won't work. What could be wrong? And was it caused by the water.
MHPAUTOS
You may have got water into the speed sensor plug, give it a day to dry out, if still not working get a tech to take a look at at it.
MARY23
  • 2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
Speedometer quit working. Its just bobbing up and down. How do I fix this?
Scan for codes, may be a bad speed sensor. Most auto parts can do it for you.
ANTHNYNEAL
  • 2007 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
When driving my speedometer does not immediately register, when I reach 40 or more it bounces then registers a speed but I'm not sure if it is correct.
Thursday, January 17th, 2019 AT 8:06 PM (Merged)
Get it scanned to see if the speed senor is screwed up. Or the wiring to it. Could be a dash problem as well.
GRPACK30
  • 2004 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
When i'm driving the speedometer is shaking not giving me the speed that i'm going it bouces back and forth. For example going 55 it might be bouncing back and forth between 50-55. What causes that do I need a new speedometer or something else
MHPAUTOS
HI there,

this may be a faulty speed sensor in the transmission,

TADRVR
  • 2003 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
If the speed sensor on the transaxle is bad, will this efffect the cruise control as well? I have checked the fuses and they are ok.
STEVEW84
Yes. It uses that input to make sure you stay at that speed.
DAVERPH
  • 2007 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
Speedometer / odometer on my 3.3L Santa fe ltd stopped working. This happened under warranty 5 years ago, repair tech noted 'found current data, had no reading for speed on BCM, fixed poor connection at pin c270" on work order. Cruise control works perfectly, no error codes, get accurate mph reading on scanner when hooked up and driving, seems to also register miles. Initial symptom before quitting altogether was speedometer needle swinging wildly above and below actual speed. I replaced the speedometer stepper motor, didn't fix problem. I replaced instrument cluster with one from a salvage yard, didn't fix problem. Didn't think that VSS could be problem as dealer indicated buying a new cluster for $600 would be the fix, plus the fact from what I researched, a bad VSS would keep the cruise control from working.
Would anyone care to suggest a solution? Does anyone know where I might find the loose connection at pin C270 previously worked on? I will donate $10 by PayPal to anyone who provides the fix.
ASEMASTER6371
Salvage yard cluster is the issue. You cannot swap parts as they need to be learned with a vin number when new. Your used part has a different vin burned into it and will not work.

Otherwise, you have a wiring issue between the bcm and the cluster.

My bet is on the cluster

DAVERPH
The Hyundai master tech at a local dealer says no, the VIN does not have to be programmed into the cluster for the speedometer to work. There were no error codes when replacement cluster was put in, all other gauges and functions on the cluster worked.
Found on Hyundai's website that the Pin C270 is the connector attached to the VSS, so I will check that out now.
+1
ASEMASTER6371
How did you make out? Did the tech check this for you? Do you have a signal from the speed sensor?

-1