Keyless Entry Remote isnt working?

CJDUNBAR
  • 2007 FORD EXPLORER
One day last week the keyless entry remote quit working. I replaced the battery. No luck. I tried reprogramming the remote using the instructions in the manual. Here is where it gets odd. After turning the key on and off 8 times, the car responds by locking/unlocking. I then press a button on the remote, the car responds again by locking/unlocking. I then turn the key back off. Take the key out. Test the remote. Doesnt work. Ive tried this several times with the same results. I am following the instructions exactly. Any idea where the problem is?
Wednesday, February 15th, 2012 AT 10:00 PM

KHLOW2008
After turning the ignition off, does the locks cycle to end of programming mode?

Are all door and hood switches working correctly?
Wednesday, February 15th, 2012 AT 10:15 PM
CJDUNBAR
Yeah everything cycles like the manual says it will. All locks are working. Thanks for the reply.
Wednesday, February 15th, 2012 AT 11:49 PM
KHLOW2008
You have programmed the remote correctly so it is something else that is is causing the system not to work.

Try pressing the button 2 times within 3 seconds and note if there are any response from the door locks or parking lights.

Does the panic button works?
Thursday, February 16th, 2012 AT 12:58 PM
CJDUNBAR
Try pressing the button twice during the programming phase? Or after? If after, I tried that (out of frustration). Panic button doesnt work either.
Thursday, February 16th, 2012 AT 1:28 PM
KHLOW2008
After exiting programming phase.

Try waiting for at least 10 minutes after exiting programing phase before you try the remote.

Are you able to start the vehicle?
How many remotes did you program?

Try locking the doors manually and then using the remote to arm and disarm to see if it works.
Thursday, February 16th, 2012 AT 5:47 PM
CJDUNBAR
Thanks alot! Waiting the 10 min worked. No clue why but who cares. The wife is happy now. Donation coming your way.
Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 6:29 PM
KHLOW2008
Glad to know you have fixed the problem.

Have a great day.
Sunday, February 19th, 2012 AT 3:31 AM
MEPOWELL
  • 2004 FORD EXPLORER
  • AWD
I have a 2004 Ford explorer. I need the factory set code to reset my personal code for the keyless entry. The code is marked on the "computer module" Where is the computer module located?
Wednesday, August 28th, 2019 AT 9:41 PM (Merged)
A2ZVP
I just bought an 04 same problem. The computer module is behind the panel in the back seat. Not the 3rd row seats. Passenger side. If you were sitting in this spot it would be about shoulder height. Pop of the top panel carefully than pull gently ouy on the bottom panel. With a flashlight you will see the sticker on the module. I was real scared at first that I might break something but it was real easy. Took 5 minutes. I got my information from serious explorations and It was right on Good luck
HINOJOSA ELISA
  • 2004 FORD EXPLORER
Hi again! 2004 ford explorer not working. Has a new battery plus lights, windows, alarm and radio work. What can it be?
ASEMASTER6371
Not working? Please explain

ZIMBA1977
Not working? Do you mean it doesn't start up?

More detail.
HINOJOSA ELISA
Meant to say doesnt work.
ZIMBA1977
Need more detail than just doesn't work. It would help if you describe as much as possible. What are you planning to do? Are you wanting to start it up? Is your car not starting. Sure there could be power to the radio and windows but its different if its not starting. The starter might be bad.
FLHTPI386
  • 2002 FORD EXPLORER
I only had one remote for my vehicle, so I bought another one, I tried to program it but did not work and now my working remote quit working, the key pad did not work also, a mech tried to reprgram it but says I have a bad pcm, traced to a bad eeprom, if the pcm is bad wouldnt that affect the rest of the car, goes the keyless entry have its own module?
BLUELIGHTNIN6
The keyless entry system uses the Central Security Module, not the Powertrain Control Module.
FLHTPI386
Would the bad EEprom prevent the tech from reprogramming the security system
+1
Wednesday, August 28th, 2019 AT 9:42 PM (Merged)
BLUELIGHTNIN6
It is possible, the EEPROM is actually a computer chip inside of the main computer. The EEPROM is part of the receiving portion of the keyless entry, so if it fails then the transmitter's signals will not be read by the receiver (EEPROM).
+1
OFFIONG
  • 2002 FORD EXPLORER
Please where can I locate key-less entry system in ford explorer 2002
thanks
offiong edet
The keyless entry system has a central security module which is the primary brain behind the system regardless if you are using the key pad or a fob. This component is located at the base of the right C pillar.