FRONT WHEEL BEARING REPLACEMENT 2007 FORD EXPLORER

• Craig Waldron
  • 2007 Ford Explorer
  • automatic

Hello, I am replacing my front wheel bearing assembly on a Ford 2007 Explorer with 105000 miles.
I have everything off except the bearing assembly which seem frozen on and will not come off. Is there any method other than beating it with a hammer to remove without damage to any other parts?

Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 6:34 PM

• CJ MEDEVAC

Did this puppy lock down and spin on the spindle. If it did, it may have sorta welded itself on! Not good!

Imma CJ Jeep kinda guy, and I do not know the specifics of what you have to pull on or against.I found that a hammer is the last "Precision Tool" you want to use for a bearing

Below are 2 Jeep pics. 1st, is the permanently welded to the shaft, see the inner portion of the bearing. Now Sorta "Permatized" to the shaft! (Required new shaft and bearings, the Bearing Failure or lock down at 55 MPH, broke my transfer case's Case. Big $$$). Last pic is a 3 jaw puller, We used it to pull a bearing on my transmission. Mine is a inexpensive one, came as a set of 4 (this is a middle one) from "Harbor Freight". Seems like it was less than $30, for the set. They are lifesavers!

Think that's what you need?

Auto parts stores sometimes have them, I feel sure cost would be more.

Let me know if this helped

The Medic

Monday, February 21st, 2011 AT 12:46 AM