2007 Dodge Caravan Brakes

SSTRINKO
  • 2007 DODGE CARAVAN
I have a 2007 Dodge Caravan. I recently had the front brake pads replaced and everything seemed ok. It has been a couple of months and I am starting to get this horrible grinding sound in the front wheels when I decelerate from higher speeds. The sound is exasperated the higher the speed and the harder I apply the brakes. I am also noticing an abundance of blackish residue that builds quickly after cleaning. Please advise.
Wednesday, May 27th, 2015 AT 11:32 AM

This could be a couple of things not necessarily brakes. Have wheel bearings check first. Rust buildup and falling off will also cause this. Frozen calipers and cheaper brake pads wear faster. Ceramic pads are the best but more expensive. Also the way people drive wear them faster. Look at brake pedal if left side of pedal is worn down you stop with your lieft foot and consequently your foot rides on brake pedal and the brakes are applied as it only takes 4 lbs of pressure to do this. So have your brakes checked to see what is exactly is. Also if you are seeing black grease it may be a boot torn on the axle and throwing grease out of joint so it will probably have to be replaced.
Wednesday, May 27th, 2015 AT 12:02 PM
SSTRINKO
Great. Thanks. I think it may very well be the bearings. The black is more like a residue than a grease. Very hard to remove. How do I know if it is the bearings and if it is, is it potentially a do it yourself project for a mechanically inclined individual? Also I drive with right foot only.
Wednesday, May 27th, 2015 AT 12:33 PM
Find an empty parking lot, drive in a circle one way and listen for noise then drive other way in circle listen for same thing if it's a bearing it will make a grinding or whining noise. Most mechaniclally inclined people can do this. See pics
Wednesday, May 27th, 2015 AT 1:38 PM