Front end noise 2006 Hyundai Sonata 3.3 lt

MELTONE942
  • 2006 HYUNDAI SONATA
  • 170 MILES
Just replaced right cv axle, need great force to get back on the inner shaft. Why? Also still have noise in front end at highway speed. Grinds with slight left turn and whines like airplane on left turn at highway speed. All sounds from right front end. Also inner cv joint was as limp as a noodle straight from box, is this correct?Outer was tight.
Sunday, July 10th, 2011 AT 7:03 AM

MHPAUTOS
Are you sure that you have the correct shaft? Did you compare the lengths?
Sunday, July 10th, 2011 AT 8:21 AM
MELTONE942
I did not but the replacement part was identical in every aspect. It seemed to be the same length. In fact I would bet on it. Do you think that the shaft was bad? It was loose on the inner joint and had some oil in the box when I opened it. The oil was coming from the inner shaft itself, not a boot.I also noticed a, what sees to be a fill plug, next to where the speed sensor bolts in. Is this supposed to have a lube in it? Is this maybe a bad wheel hub bearing?
Sunday, July 10th, 2011 AT 2:30 PM
MELTONE942
Also there is 170k miles on car. Not 170.
Sunday, July 10th, 2011 AT 2:31 PM
KHLOW2008
Innner joints would be limp and outer joints stiff, that is normal.

If the splines were not seated corrctly, it would be difficult to get it on. While pushing it in, you need to wiggle and turn the shaft to get it to slot in correctly and a little force is required to get the C-clip to compress before it can slide in.

Whining noise during high speed turns indicates a bad wheel bearing. If it is a scraping noise, check if the brake backing plate is too near and brushing against the rotor.
+1
Sunday, July 10th, 2011 AT 4:24 PM
MELTONE942
There was no clip at all on the old or the new axle. Should there have been? Also looks like I am replacing the bearing. Does it matter if I replace the whole hub assembly or will the bearing replacement be just as good? Thanks.
Monday, July 11th, 2011 AT 1:52 PM
MELTONE942
Also when I replaced cv axle it was just the axle not the mid axle that goes from trans to inner cv axle
Monday, July 11th, 2011 AT 1:58 PM
KHLOW2008
For the inner portion that plugs in, there is a groove for a C-Clip. If it is issing, then you need to get one to fit in.

If there is nothign wrong with the hub assy, replacing the bearing is all you need to do.
Monday, July 11th, 2011 AT 2:35 PM