2006 Hyundai Santa Fe Cluster lights won't turn on.

ZARREYES
  • 2006 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
  • AWD
My 2006 Hyundai Santa fe Limited approx 130000 miles. When I turn on the headlights the interior cluster lights wont turn on. I checked the fuses and they are good. I did notice that the radio lights didn't dim down though. The fog lights also won't turn own. I looked at the owner's manual and I notice it doesn't identify the 2 blue relays on the bottom of the fuse box is one of these 2 relays causing my problem.
Thursday, November 21st, 2013 AT 4:58 PM

TY ANDERSON
The rheostat (instrument cluster illumination dimmer knob) controls the instrument cluster illumination and the radio illumination. If this dimmer is not working or the ground supplied to this dimmer is open will cause the lights no to work. So, if the relay (titled tail lamp relay") under the driver side dash is good and fuses are good. That leaves a wiring issue, instrument cluster or dimmer switch.

As for the fog lamps.
Check the 15a fuse in the under hood fuse block and relay. If these are good suspect burnt out bulbs, bad ground circuit, or an open circuit.
There is small black diode (a diode is a electrical one way gate, allows current to flow from point A to point B but not from point B to point A) for the fog lamp circuit. It is located under the driver side dash close to the fuse block it is usually taped up on one of the wiring harnesses under there.
I've seen more of these diodes stop working more than any thing else effecting the exterior and interior illumination.
Let me know what you find.
Thursday, November 21st, 2013 AT 5:27 PM
GARYJENNIFER REBSCH
Hyundai did not put this information in the handbook and I have not seen it in manuals. The fog, gloive box, and dash lights are controlled via a fuse inside the interior fuse box on a fuse marked "Tail RH". I have seen a post saying it was under the "LH" as well. It is not marked fog, glove box or dash. Only Tail.
'
+6
Tuesday, December 27th, 2016 AT 3:40 PM
KEN
Hey GARY!

Nice input have a great new year buddy!

Best, Ken
+1
Friday, December 30th, 2016 AT 5:56 PM
ROBFROMSC
GaryJennifer Rebsh nailed it. I had same problem. Looked at his post, found blown fuse for RH Tail Fog, et al. Fixed in a jiffy. Probably cost 40 cents for the fuse instead of mucho dinero for diagnosis and who knows what Thanks a bunch !
Monday, January 29th, 2018 AT 5:29 PM
STEVE W.
Good to hear. You probably have an intermittent problem that blew the fuse. FYI most cars have the tail lights linked to the instrument panel lights in some way. The idea is that you would notice that the dash lights were out and realize that the tail lights are out as well.
Sadly they don't bother telling people this. Or that you can usually tell if a turn signal is out by the way the dash indicator and flasher work. If the dash indicator is flashing faster or slower on one side than the other (depends on if you have a mechanical or electronic flasher unit). Check the rear turn signal for that side. If you can hear the flasher but the dash indicator is out check the front bulb for that side.
Tuesday, January 30th, 2018 AT 8:57 PM
ROBFROMSC
Will do. Thanks
Tuesday, January 30th, 2018 AT 9:09 PM