INTERMITTENT BATTERY LIGHT

2006 Honda Accord

sandman1

About a month ago my battery light started coming on intermittently at low RPM or idle, usually during temperatures 15-30 F. I had the battery & alternator checked, at idle and under load and they were perfect. The problem is persisting and getting more frequent, headlights dim when battery light comes on, but only stays on for a short time. Battery connections are good and battery ground is good. Any good ideas?

Why Is My Battery Light On?

1 IMAGE

Gen Light

caradiodoc

Any testing of the generator must be done while the problem is occurring, otherwise it will test good. With the mileage you listed, you can expect to find worn brushes inside the generator. They will cause an intermittent no-charge condition, and it could go on like that for months.

I don't know which brand of generator is used on your car. If you can see it and you see "Nippendenso" on it, I can post some pictures of how to replace the brush assembly if you can find one. Most people just replace the entire generator. I can also share how to test it for worn brushes but you'll need a test light or an inexpensive digital voltmeter, and you'll have to wait with the testing until the problem acts up.

Don't overlook the possibility of snow or water getting on the serpentine belt and forming ice that makes it slip. That would occur at engine start-up, not after you've been driving for a while.

Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue