Engine light on and stays on

DCRIDER
  • 2006 FORD TAURUS
Have codes 661 and 668 and check transmission on consol also engine light on 2006 Ford Taurus
Sunday, August 14th, 2011 AT 2:43 AM

KHLOW2008
Are those OBD-II codes? I could not find any reference to them.
Sunday, August 14th, 2011 AT 2:02 PM
DCRIDER
Codes were 661 and 663 and po705. They seem to have some reference to transmissions sensor that I cannot not interpret.
Sunday, August 14th, 2011 AT 10:32 PM
KHLOW2008
P0705 is a fault with the Transmission Range Sensor and can be due to a faulty sensor, its wiring or a bad PCM.

As to Code 661 and 663, I am not able to find ant reference to them. Are they OBD-II codes? Where did you get them from?
Monday, August 15th, 2011 AT 12:35 PM
DCRIDER
661 and 663 from autozone. Ticket very difficult to read, my wife says that the code could 461 462
Monday, August 15th, 2011 AT 2:59 PM
KHLOW2008
P0461, P0462 and P0463 are all related to the Fuel Level Sensor A circuit.

Is the fuel gauge accurate or acting strangely?

If not, reconfirm the trouble code. Go back to Autozone and ghet them to recheck the trouble code. After printing it out, reconfirm the codes are correct.
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 AT 1:10 PM
DCRIDER
It is not totally correct. I will go back to autozone and confirm the codes. Thanks for your help. Any problems I'll be sure to contact you for your help.
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 AT 1:53 PM
DCRIDER
Finally had scan and the code is po704. Now this is a sensor, what does it do, where is located, and what would be the cost?
Tuesday, August 23rd, 2011 AT 6:25 PM
KHLOW2008
This code is not correct. Yours is an automatic trnsmission and this code is for a manual transmission clutch pedal position switch.
Tuesday, August 23rd, 2011 AT 10:07 PM
DCRIDER
Sorry had my glasses off it is 705
Wednesday, August 24th, 2011 AT 12:20 AM
DCRIDER
Sorry it is 705
Wednesday, August 24th, 2011 AT 12:22 AM
KHLOW2008
P0705 was explained to you previously, it is a fault with the range sensor, meaning the PRNDL switch.

Diagnostic test have to be carried out to determine what is wrong and a scan tool would make the job easier. Would you be able to perform testings with a DVOM?
Wednesday, August 24th, 2011 AT 12:07 PM
DCRIDER
How longcan I go before this problem gets worst. Right now don't seem to be anythng wrong other than the engine light is on after the scan removed the code and the check transmission shows up on the instrument panel. Not sure I understand what a DVOM test is. Thanks for your answering so quickly.
Wednesday, August 24th, 2011 AT 1:54 PM
KHLOW2008
If an error has been detected, it is best to get it resolved asap. Any fault can damage the transmission if it is not taken care of. It is not possible to gauge how long before problem worsens.
Wednesday, August 24th, 2011 AT 3:34 PM
DCRIDER
Can the sensor be cleaned?
Thursday, August 25th, 2011 AT 7:02 PM
KHLOW2008
It would depend on what is wrong. This component is a switch and first you need to check the wiring. Note if the wire harness connector is clean and secure first. Try wiggling th connector to see if it helps. Disconnect the connector and check for signs of contaminations.
Thursday, August 25th, 2011 AT 7:18 PM
DCRIDER
I think I located the switch it ws on top of the trans on the driver side and has only elect lines (wrapped) comming out the top. Plactics around it was very briddle and did not want to go any further although I did wiggle it some, if I got the right location.
Saturday, August 27th, 2011 AT 7:40 PM
KHLOW2008
Yes, that is the switch. Since the wires are brittle, there could be a fault with the terminals. You would have to disconnect the connector and check for contaminations.
Sunday, August 28th, 2011 AT 3:08 AM