2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser check engine light

ZEMORZEMOR
  • 2006 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
Why check engine light comes on and off one day is on the other day is off

thank you
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2015 AT 10:47 PM

The Engine Computer detected an intermittent problem, and since it's related to something that could adversely affect emissions, it turned on the Check Engine light. It also set a diagnostic fault code to indicate the circuit that needs further diagnosis or the unacceptable operating condition. Since this is a relatively low-level problem, the light goes off when the problem is not occurring, but that doesn't mean it's okay to ignore it. Minor problems can turn into big ones sometimes if they aren't corrected.

Chrysler makes reading fault codes yourself much easier than any other manufacturer. Cycle the ignition switch from "off" to "run" three times within five seconds without cranking the engine, leave it in "run", then watch the code numbers show up in the odometer display. Reply back with those numbers and I'll figure out the likely causes.
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2015 AT 11:53 PM
ZEMORZEMOR
Ok the coded are po882 and po700
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2015 AT 10:55 AM
Code 700 just means there are codes in the Transmission section of the PCM.

This is from Mitchell ProDemand:

P0882-TCM POWER INPUT LOW

Set Condition:

This DTC is set when there is less than 3.0 volts present at the transmission control output circuits located in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) when the Transmission Control System request the power up of those circuits. Note: Due to the integration of the Transmission Control Module and the Powertrain Control Module, both systems have their own power and ground circuits..

When Monitored:

When the ignition is turned from "OFF" position to "RUN" position and/or the ignition is turned from "START" position to "RUN" position.

Possible Causes:

RELATED TIPM DTCS

TRANSMISSION CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
TRANSMISSION CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE
Friday, June 5th, 2015 AT 12:29 AM
ZEMORZEMOR
I have a code p0882. I checked the wiring diagram and the procedure to resolve the problem. The manual says to check the T15 circuit for open or shorted to ground. The circuit is not shorted or open so now I have two more option either the TIPM or the computer is bad how can I verify it?
Tuesday, July 21st, 2015 AT 10:51 AM
It's much more likely there is an intermittent break in the wire, most commonly a stretched or corroded terminal in a connector. All it takes is a momentary break for the Engine Computer to detect it, like when bouncing over a pothole, or from the engine rocking when shifting into reverse.

The way a transmission specialist would approach this is to first erase the code, then go on a test-drive with a scanner so he can watch what happens and figure out if there is anything he can do to make the problem act up. If the code comes back right away, that is when there is a hard defect that you can find with an ohm meter or voltmeter.
Tuesday, July 21st, 2015 AT 9:59 PM
ZEMORZEMOR
Yes the code come back after I drive the car for like a mile and the car goes to limp mode after that I will shift normally
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2015 AT 11:01 AM
Once in limp mode, it should stay there until you turn the ignition switch off and restart the engine. Is that what you mean? If it shifts properly without having to restart the engine, unless this is something new I haven't heard about, it never went into limp mode.
Thursday, July 23rd, 2015 AT 11:43 PM
ZEMORZEMOR
Sometimes it shifts normal after I turn the engine off and back up on. But sometimes it stays in limp mode even after I turn the engine off. The check light stays on even it shifts back to normal
Friday, July 24th, 2015 AT 8:43 AM
ZEMORZEMOR
So what I understand there is like a relay(electronic one) in the Tipm responsible to send voltage to the transmission solenoid pack
today I checked the control side voltage going in the Tipm 13.5 volt and the load side coming out from the Tipm 14.5 volt. I checked those voltages at the
Tipm. Are these voltages in specs?
Saturday, July 25th, 2015 AT 4:02 PM
You're in an area now that I've never worked on or learned about. My best recommendation is to get a copy of Chrysler's service manual. They do a real good job of explaining how circuits are supposed to work.
Saturday, July 25th, 2015 AT 9:23 PM
ZEMORZEMOR
I forgot to tell you the car sometimes does not start when I turn the key nothing happens not clicking sound nothing and a red dot on the dash board blinks. The car starts after the second try
+1
Sunday, July 26th, 2015 AT 8:37 PM
Sorry; I don't have an answer for that.
Tuesday, July 28th, 2015 AT 1:05 AM