My front brakes locking up

BEBA123
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado LS, T engine and my front brakes locked up on both sides. I changed the calipers, brakes and high pressure lines that run from the caliper up. The brakes are still locked up. Do you have any suggestions as to what it might be? The ABS light on the dash is not lit, nor is the brake light. I know that they do work because I unplugged one of the ABS lines and the dashboard lit up. I have also tried bleeding the brake lines. If I remove the caliper and push the piston back in, after reassembling, hitting the brake pedal again, the pistons will not retract.

Both fronts are locked up. Also, I have already checked the rubber hoses.

Thursday, October 13th, 2011 AT 8:46 PM

2CARPROS KEN

Hey BEBA123,

The front brake lock up becasue the caliper cannot slide freely, you must remove the calipers and service the caliper slides.

We show how to do this in this guide

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-front-brake-pads-and-rotors-fwd

If that seems to be okay then while the brake are locked up loosen the master cylinder mounting bolts and allow the master to slide forward about a 1/4 of an inch. If the brakes release it means the push rod for the master coming out of the booster is to long and needs to be wound inward. This allows the master to fully unload keeping the brakes from locking up.

Please let us know what you find so it will help others.

Best, Ken

Wednesday, December 14th, 2016 AT 1:58 PM
AGEE702
  • 2004 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Twice in 6 weeks, I had to panic stop, both times the rear wheels locked up.I do not have a check brake or engine light, a local ase repair shop today looked at, managed to get the front brakes to lock up, but could not determine a cause or course of action. They found no codes or trouble lights. The brakes seem to me to be not as strong as 2011 when purchased.I have had to replace ALL of the steel brake lines due to rust, late last year. All brake linings and rotors are like new. When you try to push the brake pedal to the floor, it will not. You do not seem to gain anything if you pump the brakes. At this point my best guess would be to replace the master cylinder and power booster. Any ideas or possible solutions? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bill.

Thursday, August 31st, 2017 AT 11:04 AM (Merged)

Check rear brakes for grease/oil on discs if it has it fix the leaks probably the axle seals. Then try a brake bleed but have a pro do it with a scanner as he can open all the valves on the abs unit. Also look at speed sensors to see if they have rust on them at the ends as they are magnetic if they do clean it off. They may not be sending a signal to abs unit. Make sure that sensor wheel is ok as well when you spin the wheel. In pic one arrow points to sensor ring on wheel and other to speed sensor bolt. Be careful with sensor as wires are very thin and can break easily.

MIKALYNN BURKE
  • 2014 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

I was driving down the road was coming up to a stop sign and my truck did not want to stop, so for me to stop I had to press hard on the brakes. Now it seems my brakes are sort of locked up. My brake pedal is stiff and hard and I have to press hard on the pedal to stop the truck and when I do it makes like a grinding sounds. I have took out my ABS fuse to see it that was the problem, nope still doing it I have no idea what is going on with it. It acts like it is slowing it self down. Please someone help me.

It sounds like there may be an ABS problem where it is done this and even removing fuse will not cure it. This will have to be scanned for codes if any by a mechanic to find the problem. It cold be hydraulic as well but I kind of doubt it from your description.

2CARPROS KEN

To me it sounds like you have a problem with the rear brake shoes, like one of them has come apart and it now wedged between the drum.

Please check it out and get back to me. Also, you could have a problem with the brake booster leaking vacuum this would be the reason for the hard pedal.

Please let us know what happens.

Best, Ken

BLAKE DOSSEY
  • 2004 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

The truck drives just fine if I am only going straight. I guess the brake pedal could be a little firmer, but otherwise it brakes fine. My problem is when I turn. When I am reversing out of my parking space and the wheel is turned, the front brakes lock up. When I turn a corner or drive through an intersection and turn the wheel the front brakes will lock up. It does it when I turn both ways. From all of the blogs I have read I am leaning towards replacing the power brake booster, but I could really use some advice from someone who has experienced or heard of this problem.

Thank you.

Thursday, August 31st, 2017 AT 11:05 AM (Merged)
JIS001

The only way I see the booster doing that is if the master cylinder were leaking and the booster was sucking in the fluid. Do these and let me know what you find. Pull the master cylinder forward and inspect the inside of the booster for fluid. If there is brake fluid inside then replace both the master cylinder and the booster.

2CARPROS KEN

I would look at the caliper hoses to make sure they are not looped this will cause the problem. The caliper needs to be turned so the hoses are not looped.

JET71
  • 2002 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Brakes problem
2002 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 173000 miles

Hi, while driving down the road the brakes apply (you can feel the dragging, it progressively gets worse until the truck almost won't move) total distance of drive maybe 5-6 miles. You don't even have to touch the brake peddle. I got it back to the garage (the rear caliper piston seals caught fire it got so hot!Loosened the bleed screw on right rear, both rear brakes released. Then I went to the front and loosened the left front bleed screw and both fronts brakes released! I pulled the fuse on the ABS 2 years ago due to ABS operating as you almost come to a complete stop! (It is a hydroboost system)

KHLOW2008

Hi jet71,

Thank you for the donation.

From the symptom description, the pressure is not being released and it could be form the master cylinder or ABS accumulator.

To identify the source, when problem occurs, loosen the master cylinder brake pipes and if the brakes releases, the fault lies with the master cylinder. If the brakes does not release, then the fault would be with the ABS accumulator.

ABS Accumulators tends to fail over time if it has been diasbled without being removed from system.

+2
CEDARSTUMP
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Brakes problem V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado that I recently purchased. The problem that I have is when I first back out of the driveway in the mornings. When I go to put the truck in drive it will not go because the brakes are locked up. If I put the truck in reverse again and then back in drive it will go. As I go out the gravel drive and press the brakes both back tires will lock up and slide. This only happens in the morning when I leave for work. I can not see any brake fluid leaking from the inside of the wheels like a brake cylinder leaking. Does any one have any suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help

Thursday, August 31st, 2017 AT 11:06 AM (Merged)
2CARPROS KEN

When rear brake lock up it means the shoes are getting to small to work right with the drum and its time for a rear brake job.

Here is a video that will help you get the job done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ts8SRUxRc8 its an older car but the idea is the same.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

RWEIST
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

What causes the rear brakes to lock up on a 2005 3/4 ton chevy pick-up rear brakes are disc

ASEMASTER6371

Could be a warped rotor, bad caliper or bad brake hose. When was the last time you changed the brake fluid?

It can be anything but most likely the hoses leading to the discs in front and maybe the one in the rear. You could have something sticking in the abs unit as well. Best to have apro look at this.

What did you replace? New pads won't solve a caliper that's not releasing.

When they lock up again, loosen the steel lines at the master cylinder to see if they release. If they do not, (lets hope they don't), open the bleeder screws on the calipers and see if that works. You're looking for the place closest to the calipers that opening something up releases the trapped brake fluid.