2006 Chevrolet Silverado AC problem

SLEDBOY2K
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • TURBO
I have auto climate control and AC will not turn on, can't get compressor clutch to engage. I have tested and replaced relay and fuses, tested low pressure switch, jumpered switch. System is charged and ready. Not getting any power to the compressor. I do have issues with the ambient tempurature on the mirror, it goes up while driving to about 30 or 40F higher than actual if that is in any way relevant to the situation. I've tested voltage at connection on top of compressor 0v running and not running.
Sunday, November 1st, 2015 AT 10:35 AM

CADIEMAN
U WILL NNEED TO RENT A SET OF GAUGES AT THE PARTS STORE. THEN JUMP THE COMPESSOR FROM THE BATTEREY TO GET A GOOD PRESSURE READING ON THE HIGH AND LOW SIDE HOSESA START HERE.
Sunday, November 1st, 2015 AT 11:41 AM
WRENCHTECH
If you have a minimum of 1 pound of refrigerant in the system, the pressure will be sufficient to engage the compressor.

If the ambient temp sensor has a problem, that can prevent the system from engaging. What you need to do is get your hands on a professional scan tool that can access the HVAC system and there will be stored codes that will point you in the right direction.
Sunday, November 1st, 2015 AT 4:00 PM
SLEDBOY2K
I found that my ambient air temp sensor had fallen and was contacting the radiator, I assume that might be why the temps were so far off. I have verified that I have plenty of refrigerant in the system and all fuses and relays are tested good. I still cannot get any voltage at the compressor. Does the BCM have anything to do with climate control, ECM
+2
Monday, November 2nd, 2015 AT 5:14 PM
WRENCHTECH
No, the PCM has control of the compressor relay.
You need a scan tool that can look at data so you can see what pressure the sensor is sending to the PCM. They fail quite often and cannot be jumped out.

https://www.2carpros.com/images/external/119996296.jpg.gif
+2
Monday, November 2nd, 2015 AT 5:21 PM
SLEDBOY2K
I pulled the hvac fuse and waited 30 seconds and then started the truck the truck. Ac came on and now working. Tip I read online someone did. I dunno. Thanks for your inputs
+1
Monday, November 2nd, 2015 AT 5:55 PM
WRENCHTECH
What you did is clear the code memory in the HVAC. Whatever code set the first time may set again and then again you may have already resolved the issue so time will tell.
+1
Monday, November 2nd, 2015 AT 5:58 PM
SLEDBOY2K
Ok. So when it stared cycling, I threw my guage on the low side port and when the compressor kicked on, the pressure dropped from 40 to about 15psi then the compressor cycled off and the pressure returned to the green zone at about 40psi. Am I borderline low on freon and maybe that was the code in the hvac?
+1
Monday, November 2nd, 2015 AT 6:16 PM
WRENCHTECH
You need to have this system completely evacuated and recharged the the proper weight of refrigerant. Those pressures mean nothing until you have the refrigerant correct.
+1
Monday, November 2nd, 2015 AT 6:19 PM