Air conditioning problems

SLEDBOY2K
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • TURBO
I have auto climate control and AC will not turn on, can't get compressor clutch to engage. I have tested and replaced relay and fuses, tested low pressure switch, jumper switch. System is charged and ready. Not getting any power to the compressor. I do have issues with the ambient temperature on the mirror, it goes up while driving to about 30 or 40F higher than actual if that is in any way relevant to the situation. I've tested voltage at connection on top of compressor 0v running and not running.
Sunday, November 1st, 2015 AT 10:35 AM

WRENCHTECH

It sounds like the compressor is out the relay is not working here are two guides to help us see whats wrong and how to fix it.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-air-conditioner-not-working-or-is-weak

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.
Sunday, November 1st, 2015 AT 4:00 PM
SLEDBOY2K
I found that my ambient air temp sensor had fallen and was contacting the radiator, I assume that might be why the temps were so far off. I have verified that I have plenty of refrigerant in the system and all fuses and relays are tested good. I still cannot get any voltage at the compressor. Does the BCM have anything to do with climate control, ECM
+3
Monday, November 2nd, 2015 AT 5:14 PM
WRENCHTECH
No, the PCM has control of the compressor relay.
You need a scan tool that can look at data so you can see what pressure the sensor is sending to the PCM. They fail quite often and cannot be jumped out.

https://www.2carpros.com/images/external/119996296.jpg.gif
+2
Monday, November 2nd, 2015 AT 5:21 PM
SLEDBOY2K
I pulled the hvac fuse and waited 30 seconds and then started the truck the truck. Ac came on and now working. Tip I read online someone did. I dunno. Thanks for your inputs
+2
Monday, November 2nd, 2015 AT 5:55 PM
WRENCHTECH
What you did is clear the code memory in the HVAC. Whatever code set the first time may set again and then again you may have already resolved the issue so time will tell.
+2
Monday, November 2nd, 2015 AT 5:58 PM
SLEDBOY2K
Ok. So when it stared cycling, I threw my gauge on the low side port and when the compressor kicked on, the pressure dropped from 40 to about 15psi then the compressor cycled off and the pressure returned to the green zone at about 40psi. So I replaced the relay and the problem is fixed cost me $34.00
+2
Monday, November 2nd, 2015 AT 6:16 PM
WRENCHTECH
Glad you could get it fixed, that kind of problem can be tough. Please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.
+1
Monday, November 2nd, 2015 AT 6:19 PM
PEREZOWNZU
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • RWD
My ac blows cold air for a few minutes after starting it. Then it will start blowing hot air on the driver side only. I can feel cold air on the passenger side. Do you know what needs to be replaced? Thanks for the help
-1
Tuesday, October 1st, 2019 AT 4:57 PM (Merged)
Do you have dual climate control?
+4
PEREZOWNZU
Yes electronic dual air.
+2
Your vehicle has 2 blend air doors. Based on the position of the doors, either heat or AC will enter the vehicle. In this case, the door that controls the driver's side isn't working properly and opening to allow heat to enter. Check blend air door operation and actuator. Most likely the actuator is bad.
+5
PEREZOWNZU
Which blend door operates driver side? And where can I get one?
+4
The door is located under the dash near the heater core. It isn't an easy thing to access.
+1
ASP65100
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
A/c blows cold air, and then it starts to blow hot air, heated air not vent air. I turn the truck off and then the a/c blows cold air again, and then after some time it goes hot again.
AIR CONDITIONER PROBLEM: INTERMITTENT COOLING

An A/C system that blows cold air for awhile then warm air is probably freezing up. This can be caused by air and moisture in the system that allows ice to form and block the orifice tube.

Evacuating the system with a vacuum pump will purge it of unwanted air and moisture. Evacuation should be done with a vacuum pump that is capable of achieving and holding a high vacuum (29 inches) for at least 30 to 45 minutes.

For best performance, an A/C system should contain less than 2% air by weight. For every 1% increase in the amount of air that displaces refrigerant in the system, there will be a corresponding drop of about one degree in cooling performance. More than 6% air can cause a very noticeable drop in cooling performance, and possibly cause evaporator freeze-up.

Air can get inside a system through leaks, by not evacuating the system prior to recharging it, and/or by recharging the system with refrigerant that is contaminated with air. Recovery equipment can suck air into the recycling tank if an A/C system contains air or if the system has a leak. For this reason, the refrigerant recovery tank on recycling equipment must be checked and purged daily. On some equipment, this is done automatically. But on equipment that lacks an automatic purge cycle, tank pressure and temperature has to be measured and compared to a static pressure reference chart.

Some refrigerant identifier equipment can detect air in the system as well as other contaminants. An identifier should be used to check the refrigerant before the system is serviced to prevent cross-contamination of recovery and recycling equipment.

Possible causes of intermittent cooling in a manual A/C system that might be caused by an electrical problem include:

Faulty low pressure cutout switch. This switch prevents the compressor from running if the refrigerant level is low. If the cutout switch is not reading correctly, it can prevent the compressor from coming on.

Faulty compressor clutch. The magnetic clutch on the compressor requires full battery voltage to engage. If the voltage to the clutch is low, or the clutch coils have too much resistance, or the air gap in the clutch is too great, the clutch may not engage to drive the compressor.

Faulty compressor clutch relay. Check to see if the relay is receiving voltage when the A/C is turned on. Also check the relay wiring and ground connections. If bypassing the relay with a jumper wire or routing battery voltage directly to the compressor clutch makes the A/C work, the relay is probably bad.

Faulty A/C control switch. The switch may be worn and not making good contact when it is turned on.

Some possible causes of intermittent cooling (or no cooling) on automatic A/C systems include all of the above, plus:

A problem in the control module or control head (this usually requires using a dealer scan tool to read fault codes and perform self-diagnostics).

A bad temperature sensor (an ambient air temperature sensor, interior air temperature sensor, evaporator temperature sensor, or sunload sensor). Again, a factory scan tool is usually required to perform diagnostics on the system
+5
RYANWINSCHEL
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Air Conditioning problem
2006 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

where is the codenser and blower motor
The blower motor is on the passenger side inside the cab, you should be able to see it. The condensor is the thin thing in front of the radiator You won't be able to see it due to a covver over it.
RWALLNER
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My A/c seems to not be working as well as my 2004 pickup. It cools but not very well. What should the outlet temperature be? Is there a formula for outlet temp vs ambient temp?
DOCFIXIT
General rule is a 20degree cabin temp from outside. So 90 out 65 -70 in cab. Vent temp will be affected by temp, humidity in traffic open hiway. Vehicle running open windows set on Hi reciurulate, 80ambient temp center vent temp 45 to 50 degrees. Now close windows turn fan to low in 15 min should be down to about35 to 38 degrees.
Hope this helps
+1

Sponsored links